Monitor at a distance from NVR

Kevin Michaels

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm planning a home security camera system. I've got an NVR and a couple of starter cameras on the way. I'd like to know if there's a way I can have the NVR in a secure location, like a locked closet, but have a monitor in a public part of the house so we can easily see what's going on at any time.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

Snapper30

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Welcome. Yes, it is possible. What type of video output does the NVR have? What distances are you considering between the NVR and display?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation. I monitor the cameras on a PC using the web interface and/or PC client. I also have a VGA monitor connected to the hidden NVR. You can successfully run a VGA cable pretty far. I've seen some work ok up to 75'. With HDMI you could need repeaters for longer distances. But I'm wired with cat6. I'm running the VGA signal about 20' directly over cat6 with a good image on the monitor. I tried it with about 100' of cat6 and the image was soft with color shifting, good enough for configuration use but not very good for image viewing. In another application I'm sending 1080P VGA over about 80' of cat6 using a VGA-to-cat device on each end and the picture quality is excellent. However you do the video from the NVR, don't forget that you need a mouse. With my relatively close-in monitor, a wireless mouse works.

Kevin Michaels

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks to you both for your replies. I'm not sure what distance I need to cover. There are a lot of possible configurations but knowing how far I can take 1080p will help narrow them down.

The NVR has both VGA and HDMI outputs. VGA over cat6 sounds like a straightforward solution that would give me a large radius to work with.

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Why extend the video? You could, but then how would you interact? if all you are after is 'remote view' use a pc and web access, or a smart tv with an app, or an android tv box, all of them have the functions you need and more, just extending the hdmi/vga is like read only...

Kevin Michaels

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Why extend the video? You could, but then how would you interact? if all you are after is 'remote view' use a pc and web access, or a smart tv with an app, or an android tv box, all of them have the functions you need and more, just extending the hdmi/vga is like read only...
Because I want to be able to see what's on the cameras from a central location in the house, near the entry, where there is no TV or computer.

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Right now I have two tablets with tinycampro that allows for viewing where I don't have SmartTV or PC in that room and they've worked fairly well and mobile. They also multipurpose for my smart home automation as well. I'll mount one more tablet to wall in kitchen for WAF.

Kevin Michaels

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Right now I have two tablets with tinycampro that allows for viewing where I don't have SmartTV or PC in that room and they've worked fairly well and mobile. They also multipurpose for my smart home automation as well. I'll mount one more tablet to wall in kitchen for WAF.
Interesting idea, though a large tablet could get pricey. Sorry, but what is WAF? Not familiar with that.

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Interesting idea, though a large tablet could get pricey. Sorry, but what is WAF? Not familiar with that.
I'm planning to get a Fire HD 10 or generic android 10" to mount in kitchen for WAF(wife acceptance factor). The current 8" tablets are fine as you can select any of the cameras to zoom full screen if needed.

Kevin Michaels

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
"Wife acceptance factor"... classic! That's my motivation for having a simple display near the entry. My W wants to be able to easily see what's going on with zero effort.