Monitor for significant changes in image and send alert

Dmikester1

n3wb
Reaction score
So my parents have a hot tub on their deck. Every now and then there will be an issue like the power going out or something else that causes the power on the hot tub to go out. This causes all the panel lights to go out obviously. This can cause the pipes in the tub to freeze and break if it is cold enough outside. So they would like a camera on those panel lights 24/7 and when it sees them go out automatically send them an alert. Anyone done anything like this? I know it can be done. Just looking for the simplest and most cost efficient method. And also, I'm a programmer by day and by night so I'm not afraid to dig into some code to make this happen.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Dmikester1 ,

IMO, the devices suggested by @gln2 and @looney2ns are the most simple and quickest way to go. They are purpose built and most likely will provide the function at the lowest expense and also provide the desired results.

If you already had a PC with Blue Iris and the PC and the camera's POE switch was powered by a UPS (battery back up) then setting up a camera to monitor such a panel and provide a text message pr push notification with 5-10 seconds of the alert would be a relatively easy matter.....but I don't think you have that.

Be aware that any device, whether it be one of the devices above using their proprietary gateway or a PC with Blue Iris, your house's Internet will need to be on a UPS so that your DSL, cable or fiber modem / router will continue to provide Internet access so your smartphone can receive the alert when you are away from the device / place being monitor. In my case, I would need to power an indoor router and a POE injector to an outdoor-mounted cellular radio (AT&T "Fixed Wireless").

Then the only thing that would keep you or them from receiving the text would be some kind of a widespread power outage that also affected the ISP's equipment, rare especially in the more metro and suburban areas....most of them have UPS's and generators (for longer duration outages).

Last edited: