Monitor output issue with Lorex (Dahua Rebrand) 4K NVR

Tech_LA

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I'm running into a unique issue and Lorex support was of no help. Told me it was an issue with my monitor and told me I had to buy a 4K monitor.

I bought a 4K Lorex NVR N882A6B-Z to be exact (Dahua rebrand) this was replacing a Q-See 4MP NVR since they went out of business.

I have 4 Dahua branded 4MP cameras (OEM) about 7 Q-see branded 4MP cameras and the rest are 4K Lorex cameras which came with the kit along with an add on I bought.

For whatever reason only 1 of the Q-see cameras (1080p PTZ) shows up on the screen along with the Lorex cameras.

None of the other cameras show up on 16 view. If you full screen them individually, the camera shows up perfectly fine on the screen. All 16 cameras show up on mobile/desktop apps but on the monitor (HDMI) output, I only get about half of them showing up in the 16 view screen.

Ive factory reset the recorder, tried bringing down the main stream and sub stream settings, lowered the output resolution from 1080 and nothing seems to make a difference. I highly doubt its an issue with the cameras themselves since they're all Dahua cameras. I didn't have this issue with the Q-See NVR.

Only thing left that I haven't done is update the firmware on the cameras however I don't think I can do that since the Q-see website that had the firmware downloads is now offline. I really do wonder if this would be the fix since I have newer Dahua cameras bought as of last year, it looks like the firmware on the Lorex cameras are also from 2021.

Any input you folks may have will be a lot better than the useless support Lorex has. Thank you.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
None of the other cameras show up on 16 view. If you full screen them individually, the camera shows up perfectly fine on the screen. All 16 cameras show up on mobile/desktop apps but on the monitor (HDMI) output, I only get about half of them showing up in the 16 view screen.
Classic tale of Mainstream and Substream.

IP cameras have two video outputs.
Mainstream is the full resolution (say 4Mp).
Substream is a very low resolution, typically D1 resoltuion.

NVR's do not have much power.
When viewing more than 4 cameras, they switch to showing you the 'substream'.
So if you are using 'generic' camera added to the Dahua NVR, make sure you fill out the substream URL.
Usually over ONVIF it finds it automatically.
In the Q-See cameras, Substream might be disabled too.

Typically for RTSP stream URL formats, '0' is mainstream and '1' is substream.
1654675535171.png

Coachtech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Had same problem with Lorex N881A6 NVR, trying to add dahua cameras if i recall i had to go into camera settings and enable sub stream 2 and they showed up on multi view then if it wasn't enabled all i would get is a black screen but on full screen i was ok. you can see this page where i changed my settings and eveything works, had to do this for all my Dahua cameras, don't know about the Q see ones

Tech_LA

n3wb
Reaction score
Classic tale of Mainstream and Substream.

IP cameras have two video outputs.
Mainstream is the full resolution (say 4Mp).
Substream is a very low resolution, typically D1 resoltuion.

NVR's do not have much power.
When viewing more than 4 cameras, they switch to showing you the 'substream'.
So if you are using 'generic' camera added to the Dahua NVR, make sure you fill out the substream URL.
Usually over ONVIF it finds it automatically.
In the Q-See cameras, Substream might be disabled too.

Typically for RTSP stream URL formats, '0' is mainstream and '1' is substream.
View attachment 130137
Thank you, that's what I thought. I tried changing the substream settings but didn't bother with the RTSP settings. I'll take a look at those settings.

Tech_LA

n3wb
Reaction score
Had same problem with Lorex N881A6 NVR, trying to add dahua cameras if i recall i had to go into camera settings and enable sub stream 2 and they showed up on multi view then if it wasn't enabled all i would get is a black screen but on full screen i was ok. you can see this page where i changed my settings and eveything works, had to do this for all my Dahua cameras, don't know about the Q see ones
Appreciate the linked post and screenshots, the UI looks identical to the Q-see cameras which just has their logo instead of the Dahua logo. I'll take a look at those settings.

Coachtech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you, that's what I thought. I tried changing the substream settings but didn't bother with the RTSP settings. I'll take a look at those settings.
I don"t recall but I don't think I had to change any RTSP settings I Just just checked the sub stream 2 and all was good. . I know I did change my ONIVF to Private also, because when set to ONVIF i couldn't bring up the on screen osd when changed to private I was able to bring it up then. Also I did just plug them in and let DVR find them after that I changed the settings.

Tech_LA

n3wb
Reaction score
I don"t recall but I don't think I had to change any RTSP settings I Just just checked the sub stream 2 and all was good. . I know I did change my ONIVF to Private also, because when set to ONVIF i couldn't bring up the on screen osd when changed to private I was able to bring it up then. Also I did just plug them in and let DVR find them after that I changed the settings.
Can confirm, didn't mess with the RTSP settings. Just Enabled Sub Steam 2 checkbox, hit save and the cameras started to pop up on the 16 view one by one after doing so. Thank you so much for this! The clowns over at Lorex still haven't bothered responding to my escalated case I started last week.

Tech_LA

n3wb
Reaction score
RTSP stream is for setting it up as generic. Maybe the Dahua NVR's support an MJPEG stream too...?
Hopefully it's a last resort, usually ONVIF sorts both main and subtream.
As the other poster mentioned, just simply enabling Sub stream 2 on the camera's UI fixed the issue. Didn't have to mess with RTSP or any other stream settings. Appreciate both of your advice which was still a lot more helpful than Lorex's own support.