Monitoring BI on a network w/o port forwarding... Possible?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have a cabin in TN where the only service is DSL (5/1mbps for $100/mo) or Verizon (unlimited 40/25 for $50/mo). I snagged an UNLIMITED DATA Verizon jetpack during a limited time offer a couple months ago and it works great at that location. BUT, VZ uses double-natting, so the IP assigned to the hotspot is NOT the public IP. Thus port-forwarding simply doesn't work.

That means if I want to use the hotspot as my ISP, the BI server would not be reachable from outside the LAN.

There are many programs which do away with port-forwarding requirements (i.e. Teamviewer, Skype, Hangouts, etc) by utilizing a third-party server which acts as a relay. Unfortunately, I am too unlearned in networking to be able to figure this out.

Has anyone found themselves in a similar situation? Wanting to log into your BI server that is on a network with no public access through the firewall?

Fortunately, I can still have the server send out alerts and post images/videos to an FTP server - but that's hardly practical to live remote viewing.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
You should be able to get through double-NATing. you just need to set up port forwarding on both NAT devices. For example, I forward my BI's webserver port in through my Comcast cable box to my internal router, which is forwarding into my network. both the Comcast box and my router are NAT'ing. So there should be some way to poke a hole in through both your routers to your BI server, unless one of your router devices simply doesn't allow port-forwarding at all...

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Verizon pulled the plug on the unlimited 4G for $47. So that pretty much killed this need. But, for the record, the double-natting was taking place within Verizon's system. The 'first' router is on their network and is what changes the public IP to an internal one. Without access to that 'router' there is no way for me to configure ports (or DMZ) to point to my router.

I now have no other choice but to use the 5/1 $100 service. Bummer.