Monitoring screen resolution: 1080 vs 4k

gdogvm

n3wb
Reaction score
I setup BlueIris as my kids' school running 10 cameras, and will running 17 cameras pretty soon. The principal wants a TV in his office where he can see the cameras live. A couple questions about camera monitoring:

1) The Blue Iris computer is currently headless and the computer is literally on the opposite side of the wall where the principal wants his TV mounted. I was planning on connecting the TV to the Blue Iris computer. Is it best to monitor the cameras through the web browser or through the Blue Iris GUI?

2) The video card supports max resolution of 4096x2304@60Hz, so it should be able to take advantage of a 4k screen. Anyone have experience of monitoring multiple cameras on a 4k screen vs 1080 screen? I understand how resolution works, so my question more specifically would be this--if you have more cameras on a 4k screen, even though the size of each camera is smaller on the screen to fit more in, but they are still clear/crisp because of the higher resolution, is that acceptable in your experience?

Thanks

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I would use the UI3 Web Browser, keep him out of BI itself.

If using sub-streams, it won't matter much as you will see the sub-stream resolution and not 4MP-8MP in the UI3 page.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Agree, use UI3. If TV has touch support, then touch would provide an intuitive way to select single/group view, select alert playback, PTZ control, etc...

I have various laptop/tablets strategically placed around the house using UI3 and touch for family to access.