Monitoring slow moving vehicular traffic

BigLarge

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a Dahua NVR and 6 cams. I need to document vehicles approximately 250 feet across my yard that come to a stop at a stop sign. Goal is the ability to identify the vehicles and occupants as best as possible (if not the license plate). Since the vehicles slow/stop for a stop sign, they are relatively slow moving. Using IR I obviously lose the ability to identify vehicle color, but this area is very dark with no ambient light (unless I add it).

Option 1 is to install a PTZ cam (how much zoom?) from the house and zoom in on the stop sign.
Option 2 is to bury Cat5 accross the yard (I own equipment to do this) and install a cam directly next to the stop sign.

Which is the better option, and which cam for the job?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you do bury cables, use conduit, 3/4" minimum, PVC is fine, and use direct burial cable INSIDE that conduit. Shielded isn't really necessary. Above all, if you plan on two cameras pull three, or more cables. If you plan on four cameras pull six or more cables. When it comes to cable, more is always better.

As an alternative you could just pull some AC out there then use that with a Nano Station Loco to handle the video and a PoE switch, in an appropriate enclosure, to handle the camera duties.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And if you do decide to bury cables, (and you may already know this), insure you know where your (private) property ends and the Right-of-Way (public property and utility easement) begins, as you must stay on your property with anything that you install or erect (unless you get an easement in writing from your municipality).