More proof that Ring sucks.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I love playing the devils advocate on Nextdoor, politely in so many words, I tell them their cams suck. Then wait and let the flaming begin. Then I come along and post this, "So, can your $200-$300 cam produce results like this $150 camera?" Then it's nothing but crickets.

Front Door 2019-08-24 02.00.25.930 AM.jpg

HoosierD

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I like the "I caught these guys last night" on Nextdoor with my respone of "you observed them, no one was caught and they won't be with grainy poor angle crappy night video" . And as you, share sone 2MP starlight samples. That always gets people worked up.

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wow! Well you can lead a horse to water... .

In my city, the Subway restaurants frequently get robbed because there's often just one worker. You'd think they'd have some halfway-decent cams, but the photos defy belief. Here's a sample. You Can't Make This Stuff Up™.

1571522450614.png

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
Would it be legal in the USA to place a bear trap in the garden? lol

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

In my city, the Subway restaurants frequently get robbed because there's often just one worker. You'd think they'd have some halfway-decent cams, but the photos defy belief. Here's a sample. You Can't Make This Stuff Up™.

View attachment 49136
I know this guy! It's Slimer from "Ghostbusters"

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

View attachment 49136
This like so many photos / videos that make the news is a photograph of an LCD monitor. The video probably wasn't even full screen.
There was some true crime type show I watched a bit of while ago and every episode the detective seemed to spend half his time taking photos of lcd screens of cctv video.
It was hard not to scream at the tv. I get that speed matters and it may be the quickest way to capture / share info, but for fucks sake get the original video.

8080xt

n3wb
Reaction score
I love playing the devils advocate on Nextdoor, politely in so many words, I tell them their cams suck. Then wait and let the flaming begin. Then I come along and post this, "So, can your $200-$300 cam produce results like this $150 camera?" Then it's nothing but crickets.

View attachment 49112
Amazing! What camera is this?

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Unfortunately those claymores don't look very effective firing straight up. As daft as it sounds, something like this could in some markets work - I rather suspect in the EU / UK especially, it would constitute assault. However, in the US and others, subject to legality, Replace the paintball paint with that indelible security dye that stains the skin for 2 weeks, and you have a product that both helps to catch thieves and if someone hasn't actually stolen anything but trespassed, puts off trespassers because apart from blue skin not being a trendy look, there's also the fact that expensive clothes are ruined. The only problem comes if you trip them yourselves. You might also find blue squirrels and foxes!

Not quite the one I'd heard of, seems easier to remove but still a decent option:

Last edited: