More Reolink recommendations from a professional youtuber.

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Has the flintstone guy a new account or renamed his old ?

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
We can discuss for a long time whether this review / comparison is fair or not... and what camera settings it was made on...

I would pay attention to something else...
The default values of image and compression settings in Dahua cameras are FAR from OPTIMAL!
Especially on models older that one year (old UI interface, before AI SSA which gives some help but don't resolve problems like too big shutter time)...

Most consumer cameras have 'maxed' settings to get color images at night (big gain, long exposure time, big 2D/3D NR etc).

Dahua usually have very safe values somewhere in middle, which are far from what consumer brands had.
And you must change a lot to have nice not blurred night image...

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So, the thing about pretty much all reviews whether it's a random youtuber, a random website reviewing the product, or even a site like The Wirecutter or Cnet is their goal is to make money from at a minimum affiliate links. In some cases there are certainly some instances where money changed hands behind the scenes or someone was 'gifted' some expensive stuff. A significant number of these 'reviews' just someone taking a smattering of the 'best selling' products on amazon and 'reviewing' them to maximize their profit. It's only going to get worse with the help of generative ai.

Even publications like Consumer Reports have faced allegations of untoward things and gifts to employees from mfgs. I've found with respect to Consumer Reports (and sometimes other websites), I'm often happier with their #2 or #3 product than their #1. They are also terrible at reviewing electronics.

Last edited:

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Hilariously if you watch his actual review of all the camera videos you can clearly see, even straight out of the box, the 5442 smoked all the other ones especially at night yet he still somehow declared Reolink the winner at the end. Oh well, the advice is worth what you pay for it on Youtube.
To be fair, the point of the video was comparing full time color cameras. He put the 5442 in there as a comparison, but it was not part of the "challenge" and can't be considered the best full time color camera because it is not color with IR.

He gets money to pick ReoUNlink over any other makes....I guarantee it. :headbang::wtf:
100%. He absolutely has been paid by Reolink in the past and I am sure he expects to be paid again in the future. So while this particular video may not have technically been sponsored by anyone, he definitely has a relationship with Reolink that is in his best interest monetarily not to upset.