Most HikVision sensors 1/3 for 4MP but the reccomendation for 4MP seems to be 1/1.8 or larger?

SeaBings

n3wb
Reaction score
A few tips....It is simple LOL do not chase MP - do not buy a 4MP camera that is anything smaller than a 1/1.8" sensor. Do not buy a 2MP camera that is anything smaller than a 1/2.8" sensor. Do not buy a 4K (8MP) camera on anything smaller than a 1/1.2" sensor.

Howdy folks. I think the title speaks for itself. Kinda new around here but been reading up a storm. I have a few cams I am looking to buy for a basic residential setup. The one thing I'm mostly confused about is I see much talk about sensor size for 4MP cams, saying it should be 1/1.8 or larger. But when checking all the hikvision cams at 4MP just about all of them except for the colorvu are 1/3 sensors. From what I can gather I don't really want colorvu as I don't want supplemental lighting unless its from a flood light possibly.

Am I missing something here? or are these cams going to work just fine for the price?

DS-2CD2343G2-I(U)
DS-2CD2346G2P-ISU
iDS-2CD7146G0-IZHSY
ds-7616nxi-k2-16p

Thank you kindly for everyone's time and any clarity you may be able to provide.

Last edited:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Howdy folks. I think the title speaks for itself. Kinda new around here but been reading up a storm. I have a few cams I am looking to buy for a basic residential setup. The one thing I'm mostly confused about is I see much talk about sensor size for 4MP cams, saying it should be 1/1.8 or larger. But when checking all the hikvision cams at 4MP just about all of them except for the colorvu are 1/3 sensors. From what I can gather I don't really want colorvu as I don't want supplemental lighting unless its from a flood light possibly.

Am I missing something here? or are these cams going to work just fine for the price?

DS-2CD2343G2-I(U)
DS-2CD2346G2P-ISU
iDS-2CD7146G0-IZHSY
ds-7616nxi-k2-16p

Thank you kindly for everyone's time and any clarity you may be able to provide.
Hikvision offers many different lines (Series) to fill various budgets.

The Dark Fighter, ColorVu, IDS Line offer both 1/1.8” ~ 1/1.2” image sensors and others in between.

Buy what you can afford today that offers the best video quality at night. As it relates to ColorVu Hikvision is on the their second generation of this technology.

Which offers a hybrid IR & LED lights . . .

As such there is no longer a compromise of buying a camera with IR capability vs white light only.

Both use the Smart Lighting to automatically adjust the output based on the object in view.

In 2024 there’s absolutely no reason to buy a camera with a 1/3 image sensor from any vendor unless you’re dead broke.

Reaction score
there is a lot of 1/1.8" 4mpx models in Hik catalog:

cheaper variant:
look for ColorVu Hybrid Light models (model number ends with G2H)..
they have IR and white light, you can choose what You want to use..
there is mode when IR is switching to white when motion detected..

pro variant:
in both Ultra 3xxx and DeepinMind 7xxx lines You have a lot of DarkFighterS and DarkFighter2 models..
they cost more.. much more comparing to Dahua 5442..

You can use Low-Light imaging filter on hik page to select those models..

bkazaa23

n3wb
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the LISU/SL model stands for?

L - Low temp
I - infared
S - speaker
U - microphone
SL - siren and light?
Is that right?
I have checked online and the model names are outdated it seems

Thanks in advance