Most recent stable firmware version for DS-2CD2042WD-I ?

domelsnake

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello guys,

What is the most recent stable firmware version and where can I download it from for DS-2CD2042WD-I ??

I have recently purchased 2x of those each with different firmware version:

DS-2CD2042WD-I 6mm - V5.3.8_151224
DS-2CD2042WD-I 4mm - V5.3.6_151105

I have 3x of DS-2CD2042WD-I (mix of 4mm&6mm) with firmware V5.3.3 build 150812 and was very happy with the performance but like the new graphical interface.

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I'm not certain that US region cameras are shipping with higher than 5.3.0, or at least nothing higher than 5.3.0 has been released as an update through official channels, which makes me think you have Chinese regioned devices. If that is the case, DO NOT TOUCH THE FIRMWARE. It's not worth the trouble unless you know exactly what you're getting into.

I completely agree, the newer web interface that they're pushing out to all of their devices is spectacular, but it's not worth bricking a camera over. It's for this reason I'm willing to starve my Chinese cameras of firmware updates and have a US regioned NVR get its updates since that's the only thing I ever interface with. It all works well, so I don't mess with it. I suggest you do the same.

I'm only speculating of course, you didn't indicate your hardware regions on these so I can only assume the worst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

domelsnake

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi CoreyX64

All my cameras are 100% Western Region, genuine HikVision cameras with upgrade-able firmware.

It looks like my NVR (DS-7616NI-E2-8P) is struggling with the new camera (Live View).

I can see the timer displayed for that specific camera jumps every 3-5 seconds - it's not fluent like for my 3x cameras with the older firmware (V5.3.3) - as soon as I change the channel for that camera from Main to Sub it's back to fluent (timer increase every 1s).

I have seen this before and the NVR firmware upgrade helped. I could downgrade the firmware of the new cameras but as I have said I like the GUI plus additional options are available.

What will be the newest stable firmware version for my cameras & my NVR?

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you look on the official firmware channels (US and Europe), nothing beyond 5.3.0 is listed. That's the issue. I wouldn't begin to even know where to tell you to look for newer firmware, besides rolling back to 5.3.0 and losing the nicer interface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

domelsnake

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi guys,

It looks like I have figured that one out.

So I have connected all 5x of my cameras to the NVR over the weekend. Firmware of all cameras have been upgraded to v5.3.6 (1x camera is still v5.3.8), the firmware for NVR has been upgraded to the most recent version too (V3.4.2 build160226 Multi-lingual).

All my cameras are configured to record on the highest resolution (4MPs) and this seems to be working fine - NVR can handle this with no problems. When have my screen connected to the NVR I can see all the cameras connected and the images are smooth.

The problem starts when browsing to my NVR from a local PC. The "Live View" is the biggest problem. I can only watch 3x cameras in the same time ("Main Stream" - 4MPs) as the CPU of my PC (Intel i5) hits 100%. As soon as I enable the 4th camera it keeps loosing frames/crashing/freezing. I can Live View each camera individually in 4MPs resolution or I can drop the resolution ("Sub Stream") for each camera and view all of them in the same time - CPU very low.

How much CPU power is required to fluently "Live View" all the cameras connected to my NVR?

I have tried IE11, Google Chorme - doesn't work at all, FireFox and the same issue for all of them.

Web Component takes all my CPU power.

domelsnake

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How can you check if firmware update is available for the cameras from NVR level?

Thanks a lot for this - downloading it now.

andyblac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How can you check if firmware update is available for the cameras from NVR level?

Thanks a lot for this - downloading it now.
my NVR is showing a blue update icon in cam list.

IMG_0111.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: