Motion and Shadows

chadman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So last night I got my first camera installed outside and thought it was working great with BI motion detection. It was early evening and the sun was just going down when I got it setup. Motion seemed to trigger when I would have expected it too. This morning it's going off like crazy. I'm not sure how to really deal with all the false positives I'm getting. I have tried changing a number of setting without any luck. Is this just something that's normal and I should deal with it?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
depends on what's triggering the motion. if it's a tree blowing in the wind for example, you could mask it out of the motion detection zone.
you might also try the 'cancel shadows' setting. lot's of frobs in BI for motion-detection setting tho, so some tweaking is
usually required to dial it in...

chadman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have tried most of the options,it's just getting the right combination I guess. This location just happens to have a large tree with a bunch of shadows.

Tiger_Claw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Tree shadows are my worst nightmare. Wouldn't be so bad if we could stop the wind from blowing, but such is life on planet Earth.

I myself created a profile to run on windy days. Some areas required me to mask out large sections since the shadows are always moving with Earth's rotation.

Tiger