Motion Detection and Distance

EricB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does anyone know, or have a link, what the maximum distance to trigger motion is on the camera itself and/or BI?

The cameras I am interested in finding the distance for are the IPC-Color4K-T180 and the IPC-T5442T-ZE.

I originally had the cameras using the ONVIF events with the camera defaults, and then changed to BI motion detection in order to use zones to play a different sound based on where the motion was (street vs driveway).

I have not done anything in the camera for motion detection, just using the defaults so far.

On 1 camera (IPC-Color4K-T180) I can't seem to get BI to detect motion at all at around 55 yards, and the only seems to detect at night when a vehicle with its light on passes.
On the other camera (IPC-T5442T-ZE) it is the same except neither BI or the cameras Motion Detection is consistent.
On the 54422, BI does put the colored blocks on the screen where the vehicle is when I turn on the "Highlight Motion" option.

Attached is a screen cap of the motion detection settings for the 5442.

Thanks,

Eric

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There are way too many variables to give an answer.

But 55 yards with a fixed lens 2.8mm - problematic LOL.

It depends on the available amount of light.

It depends on the field of view.

It depends on how the camera parameters are set up (default and motion blur will get you further out motion detection than a faster shutter but then darker images and reduced range at distance).

It depends on your motion settings within BI.

If you want to stretch it out far you make the min object size tiny, the contrast the lowest, make time 0 and do not use the reset after 67% or moves X number of pixels....but then it will trigger for everything.

The only way to know is to test it with your field of view and your camera setup.

Look at the DORI chart for each camera. And then realistically cut the numbers in half during the day and cut that half-day number in half or more at night.

EricB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@wittaj

Thanks, the too many variables, lighting, etc. was what I had figured, but thought there might be a general "don't go over xx feet" rule of thumb.

Your answer also reinforced my idea that maybe I was trying to "reach" too far, but I was hesitant about that thought when I saw that BI was putting the colored blocks on the car that drove by.

I will play with those settings and see what I get.

Is there a DORI chart on these forums for the cameras or are you referring to what is on the datasheet from the Dahau site?

Thanks,

Eric

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
A couple of examples using IVS tripwire. My 5442 6mm and 4k-x 3.6mm reliably trigger on cars and people 200' away, in daylight.

EricB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
From my limited understanding, of IVS & BI, there is no way to have BI trigger 2 different alerts for different zones.

For example, I can't have a car coming down the road trigger an alert to play a sound, and then if the car turns into the driveway have BI alert with a different sound.

Am I missing something or is this correct?

Thanks,

Eric

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
From my limited understanding, of IVS & BI, there is no way to have BI trigger 2 different alerts for different zones.

For example, I can't have a car coming down the road trigger an alert to play a sound, and then if the car turns into the driveway have BI alert with a different sound.

Am I missing something or is this correct?

Thanks,

Eric
Simply clone the camera and set different alerts for each instance.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 above - You can do it with BI motion and clones, but you cannot with IVS. In other words if you had 3 IVS zones, BI only is told an IVS zone triggered. So whether you have 1 IVS or 3 IVS, if one is triggered and you set BI up to trigger on ONVIF triggers, then you will get the trigger but it cannot tell you which IVS rule.

So I set IVS up for my closest zone and then clone with BI motion for triggers and alerts (or not alerts) for anything else.

EricB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks.
I didn't even know about clones, was still trying to figure out the basic motion features and how the default camera and BI settings worked together/separately and how they differed.
I didn't think you could open the firehose any more than it was, but I have now learned differently :)