Motion Detection: has anyone had success with OBJECT CROSSES ZONES?

NVR990

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Under the “object detection” menu, the motion sensor has an option for “object crosses zones.”

I thought that this zone-crossing feature would help eliminate false alerts. (My floodlight on/off activity has been triggering unwanted Blue Iris alerts, when using the conventional BI motion detection settings).

So, I disabled the convention settings, and attempted to implement this zone-crossing feature. However, now I am getting no alerts at all.

Here’s what I did:

I created 3 zones, called B C and D.

My goal was to trigger based on an object moving from B to D, or an object moving from C to D.

Simplistically, the objects are zones are located as below:

ZoneB

=====

Zone D

=====

Zone C

I checked the box next to “object crosses zones” and in the box I entered “B>D C>D” (without the quotes).

I’m not sure if the (B>D C>D) syntax is correct, or if there something else wrong. For example, searching through the forums, I found one poster who said that the zones need to be touching/overlapping to use this feature. My zones are not overlapping; however, the BI help file does not indicate this is a requirement. So.....

If anyone has used this “zones” feature successfully, I’d love to hear how you did it!

Thanks!

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@NVR990 When you draw each zone, make sure they overlap a bit. For example, make sure zone B overlaps part of zone D, etc...

abby325

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm using cross-zone pretty well now. Past 3 days 0 false alarms and 99% correct trigger alerts. I found overlapping the zones a bit works way better. Also Blue Iris has a feature under Trigger>Configure>Object Detection called "Reset detector when" change the number to lower or higher till you get it fined tuned. So if a flood light comes on it automatically resets the detection so it don't trigger anything.

There is a highlight function to help tune your Blue Iris but I haven't looked or found it. So I use something like many cam and play back old videos clips of recording to fine tune cross zone. I also use Highlight "show object rectangles" for debugging zones.

NVR990

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks, guys! I think I've got it dialed-in now. The "Test run video through motion detector" feature is fantastic! You just keep re-playing the same pre-recorded footage through the motion detector. Each time you modify a trigger setting, you get to see how it would have triggered (or not) on that pre-recorded footage.

abby325

n3wb
Reaction score
How do you get to the "Test run video through motion detector" feature? Thanks

NVR990

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How do you get to the "Test run video through motion detector" feature? Thanks
Get your motion detection settings enabled. Then, double-click a pre-recorded clip to play it. Within the playback window, if you right-click, you'll see an option to "Test run video through motion detector."