Motion detection images low quality

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi not a major issue but still when you receive motion detection alerts with images it's important. The images the NVR is sending me are very low quality, it's less than 50kb, you can hardly make out what the time and date is some times.

if there any way to increase the image quality?

seperately I have hikvision cameras connected to my LAN and when that sends me images, the quality is very good.

Any prameters I need to change? I have browsed the settings via remote access cannot seem to find any.

tate16t

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I cannot get mine to send images via email at all. Email are sent just fine. What steps did you take to send images via email?

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I cannot get mine to send images via email at all. Email are sent just fine. What steps did you take to send images via email?
Are you running v3.3.2 firmware by any chance?
@Samee, what is the resolution of the actual image that is sent?

Last edited by a moderator:

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's a known problem that 3.3.2 has issues with attachments on email notifications. I'm not too sure if 3.3.4 fixes this, I think it was a 50/50 fix.

tate16t

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's a known problem that 3.3.2 has issues with attachments on email notifications. I'm not too sure if 3.3.4 fixes this, I think it was a 50/50 fix.
Thanks. Does Hiksvision provide a list of fixes provided by 3.3.4 or for that matter any firmware they provide?

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't think they do. I haven't looked into it yet personally as I have no reason to update.

Hikvision themselves don't really document the firmware. I mean their firmware updates in general seem to be all over the place.

With things like this is best to leave it alone unless you have an issue that is specifically addressed by new firmware.

You might want to check out the Firmware subsection in the NVR section.

From my short read, 3.3.1 seems to be like the one to go for in terms of having things work properly.

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
what is the resolution of the actual image that is sent?
Hi sorry for the late reply, where would I check the resolution of the images that are being sent? The nvr that is have is 7608ni SE/p with firmware 3.0.15 Build141125, camera model is ds2cd2032, the cameras are recording at max resolution, 2048 I think it was not sure.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Save the image/attachment in the email and go to the actual file. You should be able tk see the resolution. Preferrably on a pc or android phone. I'm sure you can view resolution on a mac as well but not an iphone.

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Save the image/attachment in the email and go to the actual file. You should be able tk see the resolution. Preferrably on a pc or android phone. I'm sure you can view resolution on a mac as well but not an iphone.
the details are below of one image

dimensions: 352 * 288
width: 352 pixels
height: 288 pixels
horizontal resolution: 96 dpi
vertical resolution: 96 dpi
bit depth: 24

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ahh. I thought so. The resolution of the capture seems to be of the default resolution of the substream. Since you said you are recording in 3MP this is an interesting occurence. Try changing the substream resolution to 704x576 on the cameras web interface and see if the capture resolution follows.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hahahaha.

Well this is a bit embarrassing. My NVR does the same (7608NI-E2/v3.0.10) however its even a smaller resolution 352x240. There is no option to change it.

However, I don't use the email feature that often as I get too many false alerts due to bugs flying around.

My workaround if I was to use it would be to get the camera to send the snapshot instead (it sends it at 1080p/2MP what I record at). But this is only possible when the cameras are not connected to the NVRs POE ports as they are isolated from the 'home' network.

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ahh. I thought so. The resolution of the capture seems to be of the default resolution of the substream. Since you said you are recording in 3MP this is an interesting occurence. Try changing the substream resolution to 704x576 on the cameras web interface and see if the capture resolution follows.
The resolution on the cameras are 704*576.

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nvr model is Hikvision ds-7608NI-SE/P firmware version is 3.0.15 build 150528

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I wonder if other people are effected by this. I have read other reports of people having the same issue. So I'd be surprised that it is not mentioned.

I might upgrade to 3.3.1 soon and see if it changes.

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I wonder if other people are effected by this. I have read other reports of people having the same issue. So I'd be surprised that it is not mentioned.

I might upgrade to 3.3.1 soon and see if it changes.
Aint I on the latest firmware? I have checked the hikvision portal and it says I am but you seem to make me think otherwise.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Aint I on the latest firmware? I have checked the hikvision portal and it says I am but you seem to make me think otherwise.
You probably are. Your NVR is an old model. The 3.3.2 and 3.3.4 issues apply to the DS-76xx-Nx-Ex range.

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Never knew i had an old model. Which models would you recommend to replace the nvr that I have? Preferably good, 8 port Poe, intrusion, line cross etc

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you only want to change the NVR for the email alert I don't think you should, as long as the NVR fulfills your other needs.

The SE/P does have virtual host, unlike the Ex models but the Ex models have higher incoming bandwidth 50-80 compared to 40 for the SE/P (this is for the 8 channel models).

If I was in your situation and wanted the email alerts to work, I'd just move the cameras off the internal POE network, and move them to a POE switch then let the cameras send their own email notifications in full size.

But if you want to upgrade anyways a 7608NI-E2/8P is not bad, apart from email alert not working properly on 3.3.2 which sorta works on 3.3.4, not sure on the size of the screenshots it sends you either. Unless you need more capacity for future proofing or what not the 7616NI-E2 could be an option too.

Then you got the 7700 series, and the new 7600NI-I2 NVRs but I don't think you need any of those features and the I2 series is a bit $$$ at the moment.