Motion detection images low quality

DemonicHawk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The SE/P does have virtual host, unlike the Ex models but the Ex models have higher incoming bandwidth 50-80 compared to 40 for the SE/P (this is for the 8 channel models).
Just a small correction, I believe the Ex models do have virtual host. I have a 7608NI-E2 on v3.1.0 and it works. Though the low resolution email attachments are still a problem.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ahh yes. Ok. Correction. Some older firmware Ex models have virtual host, it is interesting cause I'm running 3.0.10 and I don't have it. I'm not 100% sure which ones have it and which ones don't. We need to make a list of what firmware has what features. The general concensus is the Ex models don't have virtual host as not every firmware has it while the SE/P has it.

Last edited by a moderator:

DemonicHawk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not sure if you're reading it correctly.. but v3.1.0 is newer than v3.0.10. v3.1.0 is also only available on the USA FTP site and not on the Europe site. In any case, I can confirm that everything released after v3.1.0 has it (so v3.3.2 and v.3.3.4).

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah I did read it correctly. I was just stating that MY nvr is running 3.0.10 which is a case of where it does NOT have virtual host, nor do I need it. I did most of my research before 3.3.2 even came out, I haven't upgraded yet as I don't have that big of a need I may go to 3.3.1 but not 3.3.2 due to email issues. Again not a big issue.

EDIT: 3.1.0 may be the first firmware for the Ex that has Virtual Host, so only one can assume everything after that has it as well. It seems you are right. I do recall reading a couple threads before where an old version had it, it disappeared on a newer version and I guess we're back here again. You know what, makes me want to upgrade to 3.3.1 see what's new on there.

DemonicHawk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ah ok, was just making sure because you said older firmwares have virtual host which I actually wasn't aware of. I guess Hikivision loves taking features away..

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not sure what to believe anymore hahaha, I come across conflicting information and not sure on what to believe.

It's quite interesting, kinda like how email attachments don't work on 3.3.2, and sometimes on 3.3.4. On that note though, I did read the reason why it was like that is because they ran out of space or something but who knows.

Dreamboat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The information I know, coming from Hikvision is that the problem with the missing e-mail snapshots is related to a shortage of RAM in the NVR. That issue should be fixed in the latest firmwares only for the motion triggered events, while for the VCA triggered events wouldn't be possible.
However, I'm little bit sceptical about fully resolving that issue. It sounds me like the pre-recording setting in the DVRs/NVRs where you can set up to 30 Seconds pre-recording time in case of event for each channel. But in reality you get no more than 0 to 2 seconds pre-recorded time, because the hardware buffer holding that information is getting filled almost immediately.
And if if you ask Hikvision: why I set 30 seconds , but I get only 1 second, their answer will be: lower your main stream resolution to CIF, 128 kbps, and you'll get 30 seconds for all the channels.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not sure if you're reading it correctly.. but v3.1.0 is newer than v3.0.10. v3.1.0 is also only available on the USA FTP site and not on the Europe site. In any case, I can confirm that everything released after v3.1.0 has it (so v3.3.2 and v.3.3.4).
Mine doesn't have virtual host. v3.3.4

Just means I have to plug my laptop in, so no biggie.

Dreamboat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mine doesn't have virtual host. v3.3.4

Just means I have to plug my laptop in, so no biggie.
Just to mention, probably that's not your case. In order to have virtual host links visible, you have to enable virtual host function in the settings.

DemonicHawk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The information I know, coming from Hikvision is that the problem with the missing e-mail snapshots is related to a shortage of RAM in the NVR. That issue should be fixed in the latest firmwares only for the motion triggered events, while for the VCA triggered events wouldn't be possible.
However, I'm little bit sceptical about fully resolving that issue. It sounds me like the pre-recording setting in the DVRs/NVRs where you can set up to 30 Seconds pre-recording time in case of event for each channel. But in reality you get no more than 0 to 2 seconds pre-recorded time, because the hardware buffer holding that information is getting filled almost immediately.
And if if you ask Hikvision: why I set 30 seconds , but I get only 1 second, their answer will be: lower your main stream resolution to CIF, 128 kbps, and you'll get 30 seconds for all the channels.
That's a really stupid response from Hikvision if true..

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just to mention, probably that's not your case. In order to have virtual host links visible, you have to enable virtual host function in the settings.
Yeah thanks Dreamboat, the option just isn't there. I don't understand but I've learnt to not care either. The main things is the system is working nicely!

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hahahahahahaha. I've been saying for ages, Hikvision support is complete dog's mess. That's why there are people here and myself willing to support others who get Chinese imports for far cheaper or happily recommend places like Nellys or milkisbad.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hikvision should start paying us to be their tech support. We're all doing it from the kindness of our hearts and some with passion.

dfens

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all,

(I'm new on this forum ..) and I have the same problem with my NVR Hikvision DS-7808N-E2-8P

I receive alerts (with external PIR) via emails in very very low quality... about 10-15k (I can't even recognize my girlfriend ..)

If someone found a solution about this sh...t. I tried to change the resolutions on the NVR but the pictures remain the same low low low quality...

I just want to say to Hikvision "WTF are we in 2015"???

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As far as I can tell it's just the way it is with the NVR sending the images.

If the camera sent the image it would be recorded quality size. However you do need to change a few things for the camera to be able to see the the internet from the internal POE ports.

Refer to this thread for some info: http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/5807-My-first-attempts-have-failed

Reaction score
hi, i am new to this forum, i've noticed that much of the issues with the hik NVR seems to be the memory. In my case when fully operating it (playing back, connecting remotely, EG) the NVR sometimes reboots itself. I get the pre recording issue also, regardless the second previous i choose, sometimes records 1 second before, sometimes 4. i also think its a buffering issue depending of the ram memory of the nvr.
With the email snapshots, cannot get to receive all the snapshots from all the channels activated in the event, and randomly receive some channels snapshot depending of the day.
i am also not able no select the image settings i want to. I always receive them in 320*240 independent of the substream settings.

BCrippsy38

n3wb
Reaction score
any solution to the low quality image snapshots? I have tried switching from intrusion detection to motion detection and i still get low res images, lower than my sub stream. Appears im on the latest firmware of 3.3.4