Motion detection in camera vs in BI

Reaction score
I have some older (10+ yo) Axis camera that can do motion detection, but I have been using BI's built in motion detection to date.

1. I'm wondering if the built-in Axis detection algorthim is better than BI's - anyone know?
2. My CPU often runs 70% (I have 3 cameras). Is this mostly due to motion detection? Would moving it to the Axis cameras be meaningful?
3. Can BI talk to my axis cameras and understand motion / still events? (They are setup as Axis cameras in BI)

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
1. Simple enough to try it? Probably not much difference with both giving many falses. AI in some form is the way.
2. Mostly due to the stream/settings in the cam and what CPU/computer. That's very high for only 3 cams. Likely a very weak processor and/or high stream settings. Set up substreams and that likely will go 10-20%. Moving motion detection to the cams will make a small difference but likely nothing significant with 3 cams.
3. If they are ONVIF compliant then it probably can pick up events from the cam. If not, then probably not.

Reaction score
By substreams, do you mean setup one stream in low res for motion detection, and one in high res for recording?

My cameras are Axis M3114. I can't figure out if they support ONVIF (the docs I could find said little about it). But if I check the box in BI perhaps I can simply test to see if BI starts recording on motion

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
By substreams, do you mean setup one stream in low res for motion detection, and one in high res for recording?

My cameras are Axis M3114. I can't figure out if they support ONVIF (the docs I could find said little about it). But if I check the box in BI perhaps I can simply test to see if BI starts recording on motion

Install ONVIF device manager, and see what it finds about the camera.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Depends how you want it work. There are several options. Check the help file for the differences. But in any form it will help a lot.

The product support page at Axis pointed me here. If the same, then this says yes. "ONVIF Profile S"