motion detection in NVR

ADEEB

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello guys, We have a site in UAE with 214 hikvision IP fixed dome and VF bullet cameras and 8 hikvison NVR . When the client informed that smart search is not working, We enabled motion detection and dynamic motion detection for each cameras.After that the NVR show video loss continuously.When the motion detection turned off,It seems okay.However the client needs smart search for sure.Can any one help me out to fix the problem?

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What type of NVR is used and what is the maximum incoming bandwidth?
If each NVR has the same amount of cams, that means they have about 26-27 cams each, when motion is enabled the incoming bandwidth could be exceeded.

Try lowering the bandwidth of each cam to a point where the video loss doesn't occur with motion enabled.

ADEEB

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the reply
for knowing the current bandwidth I have to communicate with the site engineer. from my knowledge they connected 28 cameras in each NVR. All of the NVR is made by HIKVISION and have 32 CHANNEL And one more thing, could you give me a brief about how to lower the band width of a camera and what is the minimum needed for an un-interrupted video?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I suspect you are over the capacity of the NVR.

You need to lower resolution, bitrate and FPS in order to get under the bandwidth.

Did you enable motion detection from within the NVR or within the camera itself? It should all be done within the camera to take the heavy loading off the NVR.

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
could you give me a brief about how to lower the band width of a camera and what is the minimum needed for an un-interrupted video?
That depends on the hardware you're using. Do you have the exact types of camera's and NVR's used?
The minimum bitrate (bandwidth) will be lower for a 2MP cam than a 8MP/4K cam.

I'd first reduce the FPS to 10-15, if that's not already done.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Im not familiar with HiK NVRs but from the description I'll bet its similar to Dahau's Smart Motion Detection (SMD) that adds AI to regular Motion Detection for reducing false alerts and only reacting to Human or Vehicle objects.

Like SMD it probably reduces overall incoming bandwidth capacity in order for the NVR to be able to do commit more processing power to Artificial Intelligence functions.

If thats the case, I'd either reduce quality as mentioned above or add more NVRs

ADEEB

n3wb
Reaction score
We enabled the motion detection from NVR NOT from the camera side.We used 4 MP and 2 MP cameras are used in the site,currently we configured with 10 FPS and 1920 X 1080 resolution

ADEEB

n3wb
Reaction score
One more doubt, if we reduce the FPS or resolution of the video, will it affect the live stream or sub stream?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, you will notice a difference, the question will be how much based on the capability of your monitor and eyes LOL. Dropping the resolution can mean the images are not as sharp.

For FPS, watch these, for most of us, it isn't annoying until below 10FPS:

ADEEB

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes understood. I think I need to check once again whether the resolution is set to 10 FPS or not.if we reduce the FPS or resolution of the video, will it affect the live stream or sub stream?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The resolution directly impacts the live stream, but like I said how much you notice is up to your monitor and your eyes LOL. Say for example, if you monitor is 720P and you drop the cameras from 4MP to 2MP, you will not notice a difference. The lower the resolution, the more "blurry" and lower quality the video. The substream is probably already low quality.

ADEEB

n3wb
Reaction score
Okay,Thank you everyone for your help.I really appreciate your efforts

ADEEB

n3wb
Reaction score
The resolution directly impacts the live stream, but like I said how much you notice is up to your monitor and your eyes LOL. Say for example, if you monitor is 720P and you drop the cameras from 4MP to 2MP, you will not notice a difference. The lower the resolution, the more "blurry" and lower quality the video. The sub-stream is probably already low quality.
It Seems like interesting LOL. The customer will not allow to reduce the quality of the video also they really need S M D, whatever thank you for the information brother, I really mean it

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah that is the tough sell, nobody wants to lower resolution.

As mentioned above, look at setting up motion within the camera. Every camera that you are using the NVR to do the Smart Motion reduces the available capacity of the NVR. Let the camera pass it thru to the NVR.

ADEEB

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah that is the tough sell, nobody wants to lower resolution.

As mentioned above, look at setting up motion within the camera. Every camera that you are using the NVR to do the Smart Motion reduces the available capacity of the NVR. Let the camera pass it thru to the NVR.
But How can we enable the motion detection within the camera? We installed HIKVISION 4 MP and 2 MP-FIXED DOME , VF cameras and some of the cameras with WDR option.Does this camera have this option?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You would have to pull up the specs on the model numbers of the cameras to know what their capabilities are.

All Hikvision cameras have motion detection capabilities. It is the Smart Motion detection with AI that isn't on the lower end cameras.

Hikvision calls their AI Accusense, so if the cameras have that, they have AI Smart motion detection.

ADEEB

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh okay,lemme check it.I assume that the installed camera doesn't have AI accu-sense.