motion detection recordings

tapout72

n3wb
Reaction score
I have two BI systems running at two separate locations I just noticed that on both systems, frequently motion triggers a recording, an alert is created, but when I play it back there is either no recording or the first half of the recording is cut off missing the event that triggered the alert. Some are recorded as it should others are not. For example the alert is logged saying there is a 30 second clip. When I play it back its either is not there or there may be recording that starts 15 seconds after the time on the alert. I set up a 10 second pre-trigger buffer. I'm currently on the latest version. I rolled back to the last stable version and still have the same issue.

I've sent support an email and awaiting there response. Anyone else have this problem and know how if there is a fix?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have two BI systems running at two separate locations I just noticed that on both systems, frequently motion triggers a recording, an alert is created, but when I play it back there is either no recording or the first half of the recording is cut off missing the event that triggered the alert. Some are recorded as it should others are not. For example the alert is logged saying there is a 30 second clip. When I play it back its either is not there or there may be recording that starts 15 seconds after the time on the alert. I set up a 10 second pre-trigger buffer. I'm currently on the latest version. I rolled back to the last stable version and still have the same issue.

I've sent support an email and awaiting there response. Anyone else have this problem and know how if there is a fix?
Are you using reolink cameras? if not are you using smart codec or a + codec like h265+ or h264+?

tapout72

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a mix of cameras. Most are Dahua with smart codec running. I'll try and turn it off to see if that fixes it. However, I never seemed to have a problem with it before. What is it about the smart codec that affects the recordings?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman, looks like turning off smart codec did the trick.
The reason for this is that smart codec uses a dynamic i-frame interval (which can be very long at times) and blue iris can only begin recording on a new iframe when using direct to disk. It is best to match your i-frame interval to the fps in the cameras web interface.