Motion Detection Rectangles

alexh1000

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if the red vs. green motion detect rectangles have a meaning?
Sometimes I will see both colors at different places on the same capture.

In addition to security i also use cameras to detect animals. Where I live, this time of year, pigs come down from the hills and destroy almost every lawn. They only do it around 2:00 - 4:00 am. In the past I tried the motion detect water sprinkler but after a while they just ignore it.

So with Blue Iris I set it up to send a text to my phone which is on my nightstand and wakes me. Of course false alerts have to be reduced as much as possible and I was able to do that by careful masking and setting for black and white. I get on average 1 or 2 false alerts from car headlights which is acceptable since the problem only occurs about 1 month per year. Usually no false alerts in the backyard where raccoons are the problem.

i also realized that for me visible cameras are much more effective for theft deterrence than hidden cameras such as the ones being advertised so heavily now. Before the cameras I had packages stolen from my porch. When I put up 2 visible cameras it stopped. I had the house painted and it took a while for me to get the cameras back up and in the interim a package was stolen.

Blue Iris is a great product for the tech savvy and I have recommended it to several people. My wife initially wanted to me a get a camera package like they sell at Costco - check the reviews on those, typically they last about a year and I'm not sure they are even digital (they seem to use coax)?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if the red vs. green motion detect rectangles have a meaning?
Sometimes I will see both colors at different places on the same capture.

In addition to security i also use cameras to detect animals. Where I live, this time of year, pigs come down from the hills and destroy almost every lawn. They only do it around 2:00 - 4:00 am. In the past I tried the motion detect water sprinkler but after a while they just ignore it.

So with Blue Iris I set it up to send a text to my phone which is on my nightstand and wakes me. Of course false alerts have to be reduced as much as possible and I was able to do that by careful masking and setting for black and white. I get on average 1 or 2 false alerts from car headlights which is acceptable since the problem only occurs about 1 month per year. Usually no false alerts in the backyard where raccoons are the problem.

i also realized that for me visible cameras are much more effective for theft deterrence than hidden cameras such as the ones being advertised so heavily now. Before the cameras I had packages stolen from my porch. When I put up 2 visible cameras it stopped. I had the house painted and it took a while for me to get the cameras back up and in the interim a package was stolen.

Blue Iris is a great product for the tech savvy and I have recommended it to several people. My wife initially wanted to me a get a camera package like they sell at Costco - check the reviews on those, typically they last about a year and I'm not sure they are even digital (they seem to use coax)?
From the help file
Object Detection
The Object detection option (previously "object detect/reject") provides for more advanced motion analysis. After analyzing the image for overall change, an additional algorithm is applied which attempts to identify regions within the image where motion is occurring. If you have the Highlight and rectangles feature enabled, you will see these regions represented by green and red rectangles. It is the size of the rectangle that is compared against the Size sensitivity setting. When a green object rectangle has triggered the camera, it will become red.