Motion Detection Settings Help

Mainsail

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The new NVR is up and running, currently with four cameras, Dahua 8MP 4K Starlight MIC IPC-HDW2431T-AS-S2.

I've been at it for almost a full week trying to get this to record motion. It will record continuously, so all that part is working.

I don't want continuous recording on these four camera, only motion. This is the Schedule settings, all set to motion.

CamSet01.jpg

So then I select Alarm:

CamSet02.jpg

It's Enabled:

CamSet03.jpg

I've set the area I want to detect the motion, and the threshold is as low as it will go, and the sensitivity set very high. Still, despite purposefully walking in front of the camera, no motion is recorded, and since continuous recording is not selected, no recording whatsoever.

CamSet04.jpg

So what am I doing wrong? I can't find any more settings to set.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Try making the MD settings on the camera itself. ALways best to make any setting change other than record schedule, on the camera. Synch from NVR--> Camera not always reliable

Mainsail

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Try making the MD settings on the camera itself. ALways best to make any setting change other than record schedule, on the camera. Synch from NVR--> Camera not always reliable
I actually thought of that after reading something in here about making settings in the cameras, but how? How do I get into the camera?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Darned if it doesn't look right to me. As a next step I'd log into the camera to see if the settings are correct there. Also, enable 24x7 recording temporarily and see if any events show up on the timeline. Another thing to try is temporarily set up an IVS line crossing. When an event occurs there the line will flash on the live display, then you can see if the NVR picked it up. If you want to try a shot in the dark, delete the camera from the NVR, then add it back on channel 10. I sometimes have a camera not detecting events and the only way I've found so far to fix it is deleting and adding it back to the NVR. I'd like to find a cleaner way to fix this someday. (Actually, the camera is detecting events, but they're not picked up by the NVR until I delete and re-add the camera).

Try making the MD settings on the camera itself.
I have found that when I make the region setting on the camera, it gets over-ridden by what's set in the NVR, or something like that. Bottom line is I need to set the detect region from the NVR to get what I want. This could be something with my rather old NVR firmware.

Mainsail

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Despite hours of looking, I've never found where the line crossing settings are.

Don't know how to get into the cameras themselves so will need some details.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
To get into the camera GUI from the NVR, you need to first access the NVR GUI by going to a computer and opening up a browser (preferably Internet Explorer but Pale Moon will work as well) and type in the IP address of the NVR and login that way. Next go into the camera settings page on the NVR and look for the Microsoft e Web Browser and select it and it will go to the camera GUI (photo credit bigredfish from his PSA thread). Your screen may look a little different to get into the camera gui and see if doing it this way gets you access to some other features the NVR is blocking - do not worry about the Port number and circle as that was from another issue someone posted.

Simply select the blue IE icon and it will go to the camera GUI and from there you can set the camera parameters.

1673448986754.png

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
To use line crossing ... From the camera, the preferred way, first enable IVS in Event/Smart Plan (the light bulb icon). Then go to Event/IVS and define a tripwire rule. It takes a bit of fiddling to figure out what what buttons to press. End drawing the tripwire line with a right mouse click.

From the NVR, Go to AI/Parameters/IVS and select the channel. You may need to scroll down to see the entire lower right window, and its "more" button. The rest of the setup is pretty similar to how its done on the camera, but I can't be specific because I always set it up on the camera interface. I make no claim that any of the navigation is logical or intuitive.

IVS works a lot better than motion detection. Best you try it both ways and see for yourself.

Mainsail

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Now we're getting somewhere!

I did everything, so now I don't know what made it start working.... but it's working. :D

Tripwires are set, motion is recording, now I just need to fine-tune so it doesn't record the raindrops. :p

Really appreciate the help! :clap:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Typical computer problem solving. Just randomly kick and poke it. It might start working right and you'll never have a clue why.