Motion not recording

Andyhhhdx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello all.
I'm having real issues with getting Blue Iris to record properly with my new Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I 4mm camera.
It doesn't detect people walking past which is what i need it for really to keep an eye on our cars. It also has issues with cars which go past, sometimes it will record them fine, other times it will completely miss the cars going past altogther or it looks as though it's recorded and when i play back the video the car is already in the middle of the screen. I have been adjusting settings in Blue Iris to get and get it to pick things up, i've knocked the sensitivity to the highest it will go but it still doesn't detect people walking past.
I've tried changing the make time so it starts immediately and i will get a few false positives but still struggles to record. I also have the issue that the thumbnail on the right says that a video is for example 19 seconds long and then when i load the video it is 5 seconds long and there is no motion on it.
I've attached a couple of videos to show what i mean.......
The car is already in the middle of the video rather than seeing it come from the left hand side.

My neighbour has walked from the left hand side of the screen once again and up the path way and all it has picked up is literally the last second of him coming up the path. (I also have the issue when people come from the right side of the picture)

Here are the settings that i'm currently using. It may be a matter that i haven't ticked a box or one of the settings shouldn't be there but i'm struggling to see what it is.

sensitivity.jpgrecord.jpg

Any advice would be much appreciated.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
First thing you need to do is set the iframe interval in the camera to match the frame rate. The default 50 will cause you to miss events because blue iris only begins recording on the new frame when using direct to disk.
Also what are your object detect and zone settings.

Andyhhhdx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for getting back to me so quick. Just changing it now and will give it a test :)

Andyhhhdx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've attached the object and zone information below. I've dropped the object detection right down to see if i can get it to pick up people walking past but i'm still having problems. Somebody has literally just walked past and it didn't trigger at all :(

zone.jpgobject.jpg

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you change the iframe interval before that happened?
What is your cpu usage?

Andyhhhdx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, my camera had H2.64+ enabled so the iframe was greyed out with 50 in the box, i've turned off the H2.64+ and put 20 in for the iframe and that seems to have sorted the issue with the cars coming past (Thank you so much for that). It's still struggling to detect people in the street. My CPU usage is currenty goes between 53% and 70%

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, my camera had H2.64+ enabled so the iframe was greyed out with 50 in the box, i've turned off the H2.64+ and put 20 in for the iframe and that seems to have sorted the issue with the cars coming past (Thank you so much for that). It's still struggling to detect people in the street. My CPU usage is currenty goes between 53% and 70%
Your camera view is super wide and the street is very far out, you might have to record 24/7 if you want to record people - you can try setting everything to the minimum threshold...

Andyhhhdx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah that's what i'm thinking too :( I did have an IPCC camera which wasn't as wide and that did a good job of filming but was awful during the night (although i'm still playing around with this Hikvision camera trying to make the night vision look better).
It has just recorded somebody that is at the front of my car which is good, i was hoping to be able to film people on the other side of the road as we get quite a few kids going up and down the road and would have been nice to catch one of them if they tried to throw something, but i agree, i think 24/7 recording may have to be the one on this camera.