Motion not triggering regardless of what settings I change....despite previously working

Reaction score
Good morning. I am using the latest version of BI. I have about 9 cameras in my system. Recently, I started watching different tutorials on adjusting settings to minimize the CPU/Memory impact. So I've changed a LOT of things. Somewhere along the lines I must have changed something that drastically impacted a couple of my cameras as it relates to motion triggers. It seems like nothing I do can make the motion trigger on these couple of cameras consistently. I have changed every setting I can think of and even copied the setttings from a camera that is working as it should. What's even stranger is that if I open BI on my server and test triggers, it seems to work most of the time; however, when it's running as a service and not open, triggers almost never work despite heavy activity in that room. I can snap a couple shots of my settings when I'm back home, but anyone experience this before or have suggestions of what I may look at? It used to work flawlessly. Thank you in advance!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many of us have noticed that motion triggering would "break" with newer updates that included Deepstack. For some of us ONVIF triggering didn't work. For some of us Zone A and B would get switched. For some of us other motion triggering didn't work. For most of us, when we rolled back to an earlier version, it started working again. And for some there has been no issue at all.

I do not think an update necessarily broke motion detection, rather, in some instances, we may have not set up motion correctly, but it worked previously and with the introduction of DeepStack, I think the "checklist" of items BI now goes through internally takes exception to this.

For example, my overview cameras were just set up for simple motion detection. I didn't define a zone and just left those unchecked. With an update those quit alerting. So I went in and created a Zone A that was the whole image and then put in the object detection zone A and it started working. The ONVIF triggers started working when I added external to the alerts. But if I did a rollback to a previous version, then it all worked as intended.

So if you are not using any of the newer features in the most recent updates, try rolling back to 5.4.6.3 as that seems to be the one most people could rollback to and it work as previously.

If it works then, then start going into the cameras and make sure things like a Zone is identified and checked to trigger for that zone, etc.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I have one that stopped working in the same way. Not sure why. Never changed anything related to it and all others work fine. Checked everything I can think of. Re-did motion zones and settings. Still no love. Triggering manually does work. ~shrug~

Not a critical cam for me so I gave up on figuring out why. At some point I'll delete it completely and set it up from scratch again.

Reaction score
After doing some additional reading, I'm thinking maybe this happened when I setup sub-streams. That was one of the steps I took to reduce CPU usage. Would this have had that kind of impact? If so, what is the correct step to take to resolve? I've played with deepstack a little and that seemed to help some, but still not registering most motion.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
When you implement sub streams the motion detection needs to be reworked because motion detection actually occurs on the lower resolution stream.