Motion Sensor - trigger cam and floodlight?

Vince71

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, first post. I have three IP cams and one motion sensor that triggers the DI on one of the IP cams. I'm interested in adding two more cams and also IR illuminators which I have never used before. I was thinking about also adding a white floodlight over my driveway, triggered by motion. I was concerned about buying a standard motion floodlight with a motion sensor that is subpar that would be negatively affected by IR illuminators. I wanted to get a better dual sensor motion detector that can trigger my IP cam and a white floodlight. Is there an easy way to do this?

Anyone have motion floodlights that work OK with IR illuminators close by? Thanks.

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have my LED pathway lights and two IR lights on two separate motion senors (one at either end of the pathway) This seems to work really well. The camera gets a nice clear night time image and the house isn't lit up like a Christmas tree.
As most IR lights have a daylight sensor built in. You will find the flood lights will turn the IR lights off. I guess you could always put a piece of tape across the IR lights sensor to stop this.
What type of cameras were you looking at?

Vince71

n3wb
Reaction score
I use ACTi cameras. I think there is a way to have the motion detector's alarm signal trigger two devices if I daisy chain them and use the correct type of trigger (either NC or NO). I did not get the hardware yet so I have not tried it. That is a good point about the white light turning off the IR light, I did not think of that. That should be OK, the camera won't need the IR if the white light turns on.

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok I have Hikvision. I've got the wiring diagrams for Hikvision cameras but nothing for ACTi, sorry. Ive been really inpressed with Hikvision.

Do you want to stick with ACTi ?

I have my lights wired in parallel so if one fails the rest keep working. A daisy chain topology wouldn't be a good idea. Make sure you place a electrical relay between any high current devices (lights) and the motion sensor / camera trigger. I wired mine so that the two motion sensors and camera trigger/alarm are all separated by a relay from any high current or voltages. The last thing you want to do is fry a expensive camera or motion sensor with too much current or over voltage.