Motorcycle Crash

Davahad

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The car causing the crash was at a Right Turn only island and went straight across the intersection when the oncoming motorcycle hit the car. Recorded with Dahua PTZ SD5023XA-HNR

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In case your location privacy is important to you, the title of the video gives it away.

Using Google maps helped me understand the nature of that accident. It's a two lane 35 MPH road and the intersection has the cross traffic forced to take a right turn, presumably into the first of the two lanes.

Looked like the biker was going at least 55, but hard for me to tell. Perhaps speed could be determined based on estimation of distance covered between frames of the video. Wicked wreck as the bike stopped instantly, and the biker took a while to appear. I'm guessing he flew into and up over the car quite violently.

Davahad

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In case your location privacy is important to you, the title of the video gives it away.

Using Google maps helped me understand the nature of that accident. It's a two lane 35 MPH road and the intersection has the cross traffic forced to take a right turn, presumably into the first of the two lanes.

Looked like the biker was going at least 55, but hard for me to tell. Perhaps speed could be determined based on estimation of distance covered between frames of the video. Wicked wreck as the bike stopped instantly, and the biker took a while to appear. I'm guessing he flew into and up over the car quite violently.
The right turn only was installed to prevent these crossing accidents.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The right turn only was installed to prevent these crossing accidents.
Great video, thanks for sharing.

I can tell you that in addition to helping prevent crossing accidents, sometimes what was done to the East-West Campbell Ave. traffic is done to mitigate vehicular traffic on the portion of Campbell Avenue on your side, likely to keep arterial traffic from cutting through residential and collector streets to avoid arterial traffic. I worked that area of San Jose and Campbell for 12 years when certain traffic signals (Leigh and Hamilton, Leigh and Dry Creek, Bascom and Dry Creek) were maintained by the county before the city took over their maintenance in the mid 80's, IIRC . Matter of fact, I spent a long, hard night circa 1984 when some drunk ran over the traffic signal cabinet on the SE corner at Leigh and Dry Creek, dragging it and the wiring about 20 feet down the road. Me and a couple of other guys were there until dawn, replacing the "P" cabinet. Ah, good times. It's maintained by the City of San Jose now. I looked on Google maps and amazingly, 40 years later the cabinet is still located on the SE corner as it was before. Pretty sure it's not the same cabinet, though. :cool:

LandDC.jpg

Last edited:

jpc-s4

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Unfortunately, California law is stupid, and there is no requirement to turn into the first of the two lanes.

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Interesting, I figured turning into the first lane was universal. My friend Tom made a right into the 2nd lane once and was annoyed he almost hit a guy turning left into the same lane, and I had to explain he had a requirement to turn into the 1st lane.

jpc-s4

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Interesting, I figured turning into the first lane was universal. My friend Tom made a right into the 2nd lane once and was annoyed he almost hit a guy turning left into the same lane, and I had to explain he had a requirement to turn into the 1st lane.
Yeah, me too. It pisses me off that the state allows people to be lazy and undisciplined. It shows in so many other ways. I can't even hope for the "keep right except to pass" to be taken seriously here. I've seen people get on the freeway doing 10 under the limit and immediately head to the left lane.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So did they cite the car driver or call it an accident?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, me too. It pisses me off that the state allows people to be lazy and undisciplined. It shows in so many other ways. I can't even hope for the "keep right except to pass" to be taken seriously here. I've seen people get on the freeway doing 10 under the limit and immediately head to the left lane.
We have a law here, don't hang out in the left lane. Automatic $450.00 plus court costs ticket. We are not a nanny state. ;)

Davahad

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So did they cite the car driver or call it an accident?
The car was at a right turn only intersection and tried to go straight across the intersection which is illegal. The police received the video and I believe the driver was cited.