Motorized/autotracking cameras vs. manual PTZ.

Reaction score
I moved to a new house and am debating setting up a camera system. I have previously purchased from Andy for a previous home, so any purchase would be from him or this storefront.

Are these motorized tracking cameras like the ones listed on this site's store worth it? As in, can I get the same performance from a centrally placed motorized camera trying to cover a 180 degree-ish arc versus 2 manual PTZs? I don't know what an apples to apples comparison would be. I don't want to say money is no object, but I will pay for quality.

Do I need to just ping Andy? I haven't measured the distance from the front of the house to the street, but I don't think I would need LPR quality. I do understand the benefits of having cameras facing each other.

I'm asking this question in more of a broader sense so that I can not get narrowed in on a camera and then force something to fit my needs based on what I think I need.

This is a clean state build. I'm not in a high crime area, but I am in a neighborhood that would likely be considered more upscale than the average neighborhood.
I don't know if that makes me more of a target due to perceived target value than what reality actually is...lol.
I would rather focus on identifying in close than anything.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The problem with a PTZ being a primary camera is that it will eventually end up looking in the wrong direction when you need it most. The best way to utilize an auto tracking PTZ is to use overview cameras to trigger it to move to a preset, then start tracking what it "sees". Also keep in mind that most of the auto tracking cameras are relatively high zoom level cameras. That means that their zoomed out view is still a long focal length, probably 10mm or longer which reduces their close in field of view significantly.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unfortunately, where we live doesn't matter to criminals. They will hit houses of all values and sizes.

We have a members here that live in a trailer and have been victimized and members here in mansion subdivisions where their driveway is gated and a perimeter wall around their house and have been victimized.

Keep in mind that these cameras are surveillance and not security cameras. You would still want an alarm.

If you try to just use a PTZ, it will be looking the wrong way. The PTZ will be looking left and someone comes from the right and you miss them.

Ideal case scenario for a PTZ is you have enough fixed cameras installed to capture all of your areas, and then the PTZ supplements it. It becomes another tool in the toolbox.

So the fixed cameras then become spotter cameras for the PTZ and when the fixed cam is triggered, it sends the PTZ to a preset to the area of motion and then an autotracking PTZ takes over and follows the person around automatically - you do not need to be sitting at the controls.

Sub $400, this is the best one out there, and @EMPIRETECANDY is running a great sale on this unit:

If you get a PTZ, you should get the autotracking one!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.