motorized varifocal Blurry

Rareform

n3wb
Reaction score
I have searched for my answer so forgive me if it's obvious. I have a camstar NVR and 3 motorized verifocal 2.8-12mm 4mp cameras and I find that sometimes I have to refocus the camera because it is out of focus. It has happened to all of them at one or another. The cameras are only a few months old. Is this normal?
I wish I had bought Dahua instead of non branded cameras the savings was not that big. I was told that camstars are Dahua just with the camstar name. I guess I will see in 20ish days I ordered a starlight from andy and wonder if all autofocus cameras suffer from this problem. I bought the verifocal because it is easy to zoom in and I could use the same camera in any location.
Thank you in advance for an answer. I typically can research and find the answer myself.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
looks like camstar resell many brands, only there ptz's look like dahua's, all the rest are from smeone else.. what model did you get? the dahua rebrands still have dahua model#' with there own prefix.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I have no experience with those cameras but I can tell you that the need for periodic refocusing of varifocals isn't uncommon. My Axis cams P3364VE domes can go a bit blurry over time and need a tap on the zoom to force a refocus. My Hik Darkfighter dome is rock solid for focus. If you don't check your cameras often then expect out of focus pictures when you need them the most. If each of your cams has gone soft a number of times over just a few months then I'd find that hard to consider reliable. You'd have to get in the habit of adjusting the focus almost monthly or if they're semiautomatic autofocus then tapping the zoom once should force a refocus. Is there a selection in the firmware for focus mode? Some have manual, semiauto, and full auto. Full auto should keep them in sharp focus all the time, even when, say, a car or person moves unexpectedly close to the camera. I leave mine in semiauto out of concern for possible long-term unreliability.

Rareform

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you kawboy. I'm going to try the starlight from andy before I buy anything else and see if it is more stable than the camstars. I most likely will be buying dahuas from now on if they play well with my NVR. I will say that my 3.6 fixed front door cam has worked flawless.