Mount Cameras above or below flood lights?

xsiv

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I’m new to ipcams and got a Lorex kit from Costco. I’m planning to install the bullet cams this coming weekend. I have existing floodlights (manual switch/not automatic) on the side of my house that are about 7ft high. Trying to keep the cameras within the recommended 6-8ft height range, is it best to mount the cameras just “above” or “below” the existing floodlights? Would it even matter? Will the extra light wash out or negatively affect the camera’s image?

VideoDad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi, I’m new to ipcams and got a Lorex kit from Costco. I’m planning to install the bullet cams this coming weekend. I have existing floodlights (manual switch/not automatic) on the side of my house that are about 7ft high. Trying to keep the cameras within the recommended 6-8ft height range, is it best to mount the cameras just “above” or “below” the existing floodlights? Would it even matter? Will the extra light wash out or negatively affect the camera’s image?
I had problems with soffit lights that were too close to one of my cameras. I could see a lightening of the image on the side closer to the light.

The best answer is to test the locations before you install the camera in its final position. In my case, I had to lower the intensity of the soffit lights with a dimmer and move the camera lower and further to the side. But every situation is different.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The answer is test the location.
Flood lights vary a lot in light output angle, so a shield to direct the light can also help.

Mounting the camera is lower is better than higher (the 6-8ft recommendation).
Adjust the flood light so that the camera works lower if you can.

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As stated above, testing at several locations should be done to evaluate what works best for your installation. Also, camera body type, lens and zoom settings may also play a part in achieving success.

Have tried two locations for this 15 watt white LED 12 volt landscape light. Note: The lamp is set at 4000K to match the color temperature of the street light that is not visible in the image.

1) First tested location was with the light mounted to the left of the camera at the same height. When using this location the light has a tendency to blind the person walking on the sidewalk when looking at the camera. No effect on image quality.

2) As shown in the below image, the camera is mounted below the same light. In this scenario, the light illuminates the camera making it very visible at night which acts as visual clue that there is a camera. No effect on image quality.

Camera-Plus-Light.jpg

As a side note, the camera is the Dahua 180 degree model.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd say mount below and fit a lens shield. From above you'll be trying to look through the glare. From below, you'll avoid most of it and adding a hood will prevent any lens flare. The only downside is the camera may cast a shadow depending on how close they are together.

Last edited:

xsiv

n3wb
Reaction score
I'd say mount below and fit a lens shield. From above you'll be trying to look through the glare. From below, you'll avoid most of it and adding a hood will prevent any lens flare. The only downside is the camera may cast a shadow depending on how close they are together.
Yeah I think I’m going to mount below the floodlight and hope for the best. I don’t have time to test them as the installer is coming this weekend and he’d want to just drill holes, pull cables, and mount them based off of locations I’m requesting. Looking at Alaska Country’s picture of his installation and the positive results he got from mounting below his lights, gives me some addt’l confidence. My only concern is they’ll probably be merely 6ft high. A tall person can probably just extend their hand and knock them down if they wanted too.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Possibly, but they'll get caught on camera if the do. If it's any comfort, I'm abotu 6 foot could easily reach 8 ft. If someone really wants to disrupt a camera they can do. They could shoot it from afar with an air rifle, spray paint the lens, wear balaclava's etc. Tht's why most have multiple cameras and that's why no 1 method is 100% effective and why many recommend fitting a burglar alarm before a camera - it's all about deterrence as much as detection. The harder your property is to get into, the more likely the burglar will move elsewhere to an easier target.

The other alternative to get them a little higher is mount the cameras where the lights are and get the installer or an electrician to move the lights higher.One issue with fllodolights is the lower they're mounted the more they have to point outwards to cover an area and the more it dazzles neighbours from seeing what's going on. The best fllodlight is one mounted high and pointing almost straight down as it lights the area but doesn't dazzle observers. There was a burglary at the back of me where the householder had a floodlight and suffered exactly that problem. A neighbour saw them but couldn't see what was going on because the floodlight was shining outwards and dazzling them. So they did nothing thining everything was normal and it was just the sons and his friends being noisy, and it later turned out it was a burglarly.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I had a few floodlights attached to the soffit. Finally replaced them with a canopy light. HUGE difference in terms of coverage area, visibility, etc...

xsiv

n3wb
Reaction score
Possibly, but they'll get caught on camera if the do. If it's any comfort, I'm abotu 6 foot could easily reach 8 ft. If someone really wants to disrupt a camera they can do. They could shoot it from afar with an air rifle, spray paint the lens, wear balaclava's etc. Tht's why most have multiple cameras and that's why no 1 method is 100% effective and why many recommend fitting a burglar alarm before a camera - it's all about deterrence as much as detection. The harder your property is to get into, the more likely the burglar will move elsewhere to an easier target.

The other alternative to get them a little higher is mount the cameras where the lights are and get the installer or an electrician to move the lights higher.One issue with fllodolights is the lower they're mounted the more they have to point outwards to cover an area and the more it dazzles neighbours from seeing what's going on. The best fllodlight is one mounted high and pointing almost straight down as it lights the area but doesn't dazzle observers. There was a burglary at the back of me where the householder had a floodlight and suffered exactly that problem. A neighbour saw them but couldn't see what was going on because the floodlight was shining outwards and dazzling them. So they did nothing thining everything was normal and it was just the sons and his friends being noisy, and it later turned out it was a burglarly.
Great points! Thanks for the additional info. Very helpful.

Rocinante

n3wb
Reaction score
If you have to install the cameras above the floodlights, the lights themselves must be in a black housing.
A white housing will reflect glare back to the camera and wash out the image.

Reaction score
Realize that if you do not test EACH location, you will probably not get the view that you want. Also, the quality of the cam will make a difference on how it reacts to those flood lights. Big box kit cams are usually not of good quality, especially at night.

We ALWAYS recommend testing each location prior to running cable and mounting the cam. It won't take long. You could do it tomorrow night.

Simple test rig:
Test Rig.JPG