Mount this Dahua PTZ under a lamp?

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I wanted to run this by you folks and see if you have tips on installation. I wanted to mount a Dahua Mini PTZ, DH-SD1A404XB, under this lamp. The lamp is under an eve and looks like this when seen from below:

1587930830893.png

The lamp is square, and is exactly 5" on each side, and the bottom lip is 0.5" wide. The Dahua camera I was eyeing looks like this:

1587931459427.png 1587931486000.png

I was thinking of cutting up a 5" square plate to mount on the bottom side othe lamp, and drilling the hole pattern for the camera to mount upside down on. The plate would have a hole in the middle for the POE cable, and it would all kinda just get plugged in inside the lamp beside the light bulb. I'd drill a couple of holes on the top of the lamp for heat control. The ethernet cable would be routed from the sides, hug the arm holding the lamp up, and enter the top of the lamp via a new hole.

All of this is in a effort to not have a very obvious camera in the front of the house.

What do you think? Any tips? I'm not super handy and don't do a lot of DIY stuff. I haven't figured out yet how I'm going to make a 5"x5" metal plate yet. I'm also wondering if some water gets into the inside, is the camera waterproof on the underside? There's not a lot of reviews to show what the underside looks like.

This camera also saids it has 1 audio in and 1 audio out in the specs. From the review, it seems to have a built-in mic. But I wonder if it has a audio input for a Microseven M7WP-MIC microphone? There's no review that shows the cables on this thing.

Edit: Uh...just realized I won't be able to change the lightbulb if I do this. Worth it? Or is there a way to do it but still allow bulb changes?

Last edited:

Tekbotslaya

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It sounds like a great idea and something worth trying. Perhaps using an LED bulb to reduce the heat? You probaby don't want to drill a hole in the middle of the plate as the cable for this camera comes out on the side. It would probably be easier to run the cable up the back of the lamp and then hug the arm as you had planned. I'm sure you can make it all work once you have the camera in hand. I'm very interested to see the result and hear how it all worked out. Please keep us updated.