Mounting Camera to Existing Lamp Holder

Reaction score
Is there a kit available that allows a camera to be added / mounted to an existing lamp holder assembly such as this? The idea would be to use that open center hole, or replace one of the two lamps. I am NOT looking for a light bulb camera.

I'm pulling my hair out trying to find anything of the sort... it's a common lamp holder assembly (I have three around my home's exterior) and it seems odd that there is no way to mount a camera to it.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
There are some various spotlight cameras that basically replace the lights and have a cam. In most cases, I'd rather mount the cam where I need/want it vs forced to wherever that fixture may be.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is there a kit available that allows a camera to be added / mounted to an existing lamp holder assembly such as this? The idea would be to use that open center hole, or replace one of the two lamps. I am NOT looking for a light bulb camera.

I'm pulling my hair out trying to find anything of the sort... it's a common lamp holder assembly (I have three around my home's exterior) and it seems odd that there is no way to mount a camera to it.
I know you want this to be something simple but honestly I think you're fighting a losing battle and won't be happy with the end results. Much depends on what your expectations are for the cameras...assuming you can find one, versus just installing regular PoE cameras.

Reaction score
I have four of those fixtures around my house in ideal locations... Replacing them with a full cam + light fixture is an option, but seems overkill since I simply need a way to mount the cameras. They're all installed on brick, and I'd rather not drill more holes unless absolutely necessary. I'd prefer the cams be PoE.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You could go with pole mounted cameras away from the house which is what I did. I have six pole mounted cameras and it was a bit of work installing everything over time, but the end results were worth the effort.

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You do not mention what style of camera. There are dozens of different mounts but I doubt a decent sized camera would directly mount to a light fixture.

Those plugs are 1/2" or 3/4" npt. Standard conduit fittings will fit in them. You could use something like this
This would allow you to place the camera on a standard camera mount. It could be mounted just about anywhere in that area. Aesthetics are in the eye of the beholder.

If your intent is to run the cat5 cable through the same run as the AC to the lights you will probably get some interference.

Reaction score
You do not mention what style of camera. There are dozens of different mounts but I doubt a decent sized camera would directly mount to a light fixture.

Those plugs are 1/2" or 3/4" npt. Standard conduit fittings will fit in them. You could use something like this
This would allow you to place the camera on a standard camera mount. It could be mounted just about anywhere in that area. Aesthetics are in the eye of the beholder.

If your intent is to run the cat5 cable through the same run as the AC to the lights you will probably get some interference.
I figured bullet cams would be the best option, but it seems the mount I'm looking for simply does not exist (and from the brief number of replies here, I feel like it's not what others would recommend). The lamp holder fixtures are mounted well... I'm certain they could handle the added weight of a camera without further anchors.

I did find this post which displays a Lorex camera that has exactly the type of threaded mount that would work, but this doesn't appear to be a standard (and if it is, I have no idea what it's called). If every modern bullet camera mount has that screw on design, then great, but that's not obvious to me.

I planned to use Cat6 and shield the last foot where it had to run parallel to the AC lines... but I'll cross that bridge if I ever come to it.

If it has to be mounted separate, that conduit you posted is a good option... I'm simply trying to avoid drilling more holes into brick.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I did find this post which displays a Lorex camera that has exactly the type of threaded mount that would work, but this doesn't appear to be a standard (and if it is, I have no idea what it's called).
Yeah, that's not typical for the cams.

If you really wanted to work at it, then you probably could find gang boxes with knock-outs on the sides and move the lamps to that. Then mount another plate on top of that for the cam. But that would be kind of a hacked deal. If you're really wed to that mounting then the spotlight-type cams probably are the best way to go.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you say "bullets?"...camera only or camera plus PAR lampholder on sides:

Last edited:

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I figured bullet cams would be the best option, but it seems the mount I'm looking for simply does not exist (and from the brief number of replies here, I feel like it's not what others would recommend). The lamp holder fixtures are mounted well... I'm certain they could handle the added weight of a camera without further anchors.

I did find this post which displays a Lorex camera that has exactly the type of threaded mount that would work, but this doesn't appear to be a standard (and if it is, I have no idea what it's called). If every modern bullet camera mount has that screw on design, then great, but that's not obvious to me.

I planned to use Cat6 and shield the last foot where it had to run parallel to the AC lines... but I'll cross that bridge if I ever come to it.

If it has to be mounted separate, that conduit you posted is a good option... I'm simply trying to avoid drilling more holes into brick.
Found this at Home Depot....https://www.homedepot.com/p/Progress-Lighting-5-in-White-Outdoor-Flood-Light-Back-Plate-P6343-28/304976283?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US

1697493903385.png

The Ethernet cable will be fine running next to the AC power line....no issues there.

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are your light boxes surface mounted or recessed? If they are recessed, you could use a box extender like this. From there, you could remove the spotlight holders from the existing cover and route them through the side holes. You could then use a blank cover like in @Flintstone61 second post. I have used blanks in the past and drilled the three holes into the blank to mount your bullet. This would also give you a lot more room for wires. The lights are probably chained together so you will possibly have two romax cables in each box.

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
WOW! Sometimes when I am hunting and pecking then hit post, somebody has beat me to it! @TonyR hit it exactly! I would then move the lights to the side holes and you still have lights and the cameras. I may very well have read Tony's post in years gone by and plagiarized it!