Mounting cameras to outlet boxes

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am in a new house build and the builders installed outlet boxes that have the Ethernet running to them for each of the locations specified before hand. The Lechange setup(linked) I have has 4 cameras and the screws are about 2 inches apart. Any ideas of how I can mount these?

Thanks in advance. Pics attached.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome @Nowhammystop

Junction box: PFA121 ( Dahua OEM part number, Lorex also carries it with their own part number, as should others ) - hopefully the stud is on one side of that 1 gang box and you can drill longer screws on one side of the junction box into the stud - and the other side hopefully there's enough plywood or other material to drill screws into - or you'd want to use some sort of anchor.

Or you may need to fabricate a mounting plate

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Think about a Carlon PVC box and cover, FS type such as these below. You can evern saw the mounting ears off and drill holes inside the box, paint to match. I'd caulk cover with RTV if exposed to direct rain.

I think I'd not attempt to use those plastic screw holes. I'd use a masonry bit and drill the stucco and use metal expanding anchors, I've used their smallest, about 1/4".

The last (3rd) image has measurements between screw holes so you can see if your cam mount will fit. The original document is here.

Carlon PVC 2-Gang Cast-Style 2FS Box-No Hubs, Grey, Model # E9802

carlon_E9802_box.jpg

Carlon PVC 2-Gang Blank FS Box Cover Grey, Model # E9802CN-CAR

carlon_E9802CN_cover.jpg
Carlon-PVC-Type-FS_box-and-cover.jpg

Reaction score
What if I used these wall plates, then mount the camera directly into the ceiling using anchors? I'm not the best handyman in the world.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What if I used these wall plates, then mount the camera directly into the ceiling using anchors? I'm not the best handyman in the world.
Sure, if you feel that will work.
I guess I wrongly assumed these were outdoor and wall boxes (not ceiling), as it appears to be stucco around the box. You what they say about "ass-u-me".:facepalm:
So these are indoor?

Reaction score
3 of the 6 will be outdoor. All ceiling. I believe all the same material (drywall, maybe plywood). That an issue?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
3 of the 6 will be outdoor. All ceiling. I believe all the same material (drywall, maybe plywood). That an issue?
Regardless of how it's mounted the important issues are that the camera is securely mounted (not easily removed) and that its connections are protected from the elements.

Not knowing the specifics I hesitate as I don't want to provide poor advice, it just seems that the single gang box shown is not very strong and as long as you secure with secondary fasteners directly into wood you should be OK. This would be especially important with bullet cams (like yours shown) because their design provides much leverage against their mount.

Those slits for the camera pigtail are meant for indoors and offer little protection from excessive moisture. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The builder also installed RJ45 wall outlets for me. I mounted the bullet cameras directly into the wall plate. I'll post pictures later. One year later, still holds up well. You need to make sure to silicon caulk the wall for a water tight seal.

Reaction score
It could be. That may be some type of Dryvit-style stucco, and anchoring to it may be difficult, as some systems use a thick layer of foam between the top coat and sheathing. I'd confirm what was used and look for an appropriate anchoring system if you need something more substantial than the installed box. The blue box may work well enough, but it's a shame they didn't install steel boxes.
I'm pretty certain it isn't the Dryvit, but once again, building isn't my expertise. I've got an email out to the contractor and he's generally pretty quick to answer.

Regardless of how it's mounted the important issues are that the camera is securely mounted (not easily removed) and that its connections are protected from the elements.

Not knowing the specifics I hesitate as I don't want to provide poor advice, it just seems that the single gang box shown is not very strong and as long as you secure with secondary fasteners directly into wood you should be OK. This would be especially important with bullet cams (like yours shown) because their design provides much leverage against their mount.

Those slits for the camera pigtail are meant for indoors and offer little protection from excessive moisture. Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for the input. I'll check this weekend to see if the boxes are mounted to studs and I should be able to connect to there.

The builder also installed RJ45 wall outlets for me. I mounted the bullet cameras directly into the wall plate. I'll post pictures later. One year later, still holds up well. You need to make sure to silicon caulk the wall for a water tight seal.
I'm definitely interested in your pictures. Thanks a ton and thanks all.

Reaction score
Also, for anyone's reference, besides my Lechange setup I got this camera and this camera.

For the round cameras, if I use a junction box it would appear I would need something with a triangle screw set vs. the square.

If anyone lives in the DFW area and wants to make a few bucks, I could probably use the help setting it up. :) Just throwing that out there.

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I forgot to get pictures. I'll get them today I hope. I mounted 5 bullet cameras straight to each wall plate, and the wall plate is attached to the outlet box. So there is no drilling of the stucco necessary. It's a clean look and efficient. I also painted the wall plate to the body of the stucco color, but just before doing so I silicon caulked the edge as well with painted silicone. The wall plate I used has a hole allows you to run cabling into the camera bullet so all the wires are hidden.

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Here's the pictures of two of my cams. Don't flame me for buying Amcrest. I dived into the world of security cameras by buying Amcrest and later I found this forum and learned about Dahua. Ever since then, I've been buying Dahua directly from Empire. Nothing wrong with Amcrest though. The Dahua's I have are not mounted like this but bolted to stucco since they are big PTZs.

One thing I like about the bullet is that you just need a philip screwdriver and you can quickly orient the camera in any way you like. I know 90% of the forum hates bullets and prefers turrets. But honestly, I think bullets give a sense of "in your face don't mess with me" kind of attitude.

Make sure you buy paintable outdoor grade caulk. Then caulk around the box plate. Then paint over it completely. It's been holding up well over a year with zero issues. The second cam is in the sun all day and neither the plate, seal, or camera has failed once.

IMG_1332.JPG
IMG_13332.JPG

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have installed about a dozen similar Amcrests which are re-branded Dahua for some customers and they have been working great for over 2 years now. I have 2 myself.

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
upload_2019-1-3_20-54-39.png
For fastening to concrete, concrete block, brick or stone I can thoroughly recommend 'unifix' type screw bolts

They do not have a shield so on the smallest size only need a 5mm (3/16") hole & screw in using a torx bit

Great for fastening things to masonry be it a hanging bracket, cctv camera or much else

Can safely be mounted very close to an edge - unlike a shield fixing it does not expand to grip or put stress into the substrate

Reaction score
I forgot to get pictures. I'll get them today I hope. I mounted 5 bullet cameras straight to each wall plate, and the wall plate is attached to the outlet box. So there is no drilling of the stucco necessary. It's a clean look and efficient. I also painted the wall plate to the body of the stucco color, but just before doing so I silicon caulked the edge as well with painted silicone. The wall plate I used has a hole allows you to run cabling into the camera bullet so all the wires are hidden.
So did you drill holes into your plates to attach your cameras directly to them?

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So did you drill holes into your plates to attach your cameras directly to them?
Yes. You have to. Then you secure it with a nut and bolt. Easy peasy. Wall plates are $2 at Home Depot or Amazon. I got the stainless steel kind, but they do sell plastic.