mounting on a flagpole

gregdz

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a bullet camera mounted on a 20 ft flagpole. It is used as a weather cam and points ~10 degrees above horizontal. I'm about to purchase a new bullet camera but read about the advantages of a turret camera. My question can a turret camera be mounted on a flagpole pointing up? If this is not a good idea I will stick with a bullet camera.
Thanks,
Greg

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Greg, I'd love to see any photos you're willing to share of the flagpole and the view from your current camera. I'm considering a similar installation myself. Please follow up here after you've upgraded your camera. Good luck with your selection and upgrade! :)

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Only Reason I see to not to Mount a camera on a flag pole is. When The flag is waving in wind it also possibly creates a shake on the pole which can be hard on camera to focus specially when zoomed all the way in. That is why a dedicated pole would be better idea. Again depends how much pole moves during windy days :)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you were to use a turret on a flagpole, you'd definitely want the appropriate mounting box for it. I have one on a tree and the only way to maintain weatherproofing for the connections is with a box. A couple of stainless U bolts would mount the box, but that's the case with a bullet as well. I'm also assuming that the camera is above the flag.

gregdz

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks for the responses. The flagpole is in my backyard and used for a camera and weather instruments only. The wind does affect it but I post only a snapshot on my weather site and there is no wind interference with it. The site is down now and to be up and running in the next couple of weeks.

tedbuteda

n3wb
Reaction score
I think that if you can install a light on the flagpole, then the camera is possible. Given the current technologies, it is possible to do this. Just look at the laws on the Internet first because everything related to the US flag is dire. For example, a person who has a US flag on his territory is obliged to keep it lit all night. So it is better to look at some laws related to this and already establish something. I hope I answered your question. If it's possible, I'm sure you can take excellent photos that will be remembered for a lifetime :)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a special light for flags? I just want to see a bright American flag at night.
Same here, and according to the U.S. Flag Code, a flag flown at night must be illuminated.

Now these don't mount on the pole itself, but likely could be modified to do so. Those solar-powered flag lights? Don't waste your time and/or money. These below are line-powered, LED, bright, long-lasting, all metal and are a great value.

I've had 2 of these plugged into a weatherproof receptacle which is switched by a small PEC (Photo Electric Cell), which turns on the receptacle dusk to dawn. They're 4 years old and going strong, lots of rain during that time. ==>> Line Voltage Bronze LED Landscape Flood Light 7W Metal w/ Spike

I have little ambient light so the 7 watts are OK; if you need more light, here's the 14 watt version ==>> 14-Watt 1100 Lumens Line-Voltage Bronze LED Landscape Flood Light with Spike Plug

LED_flag-light.jpg

Last edited:

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score