Mounting on Vinyl Siding

Reaction score
I have done my install on wood, cant comment on the particular mount, but it looks like it should work, most of the time it is drilling a big enough hole to slide the pigtail through, in hikvision's case a hair over .5 inch plus works

jrfuda

n3wb
Reaction score
I think that mount is for solid siding (wood or fiber cement). For vinyl, you need something with j-channel. Something like this one:

http://www.lowes.com/pd/Severe-Weather-7-5-in-x-7-75-in-White-Vinyl-Universal-Mounting-Block/3034223

You have to cut a big hole in the siding, through. The one in the link above would require a hole the listed dimension (7.5 x 7.75 inches), in which the j-channel backer is placed. Once done you can put the camera's j-box or whatever inside the backer and then place the cover piece (after cutting a hole in the cover piece to accommodate the junction box). This kind of mounting block is necessary to keep water from getting behind your siding. If you just screw a block onto the siding, the screw holes and compression of the siding by the mounted item will likely cause water infiltration. I have not used one specifically for a camera install yet, but I used them for light fixtures and similar items for dryer, oven, bathroom, etc exhaust vents.

I've also seen folks make a custom mounting block using a solid block (exterior-grade wood, miratec, or something similar) with j-channel around it, which looks better if done right as you can make it the exact dimensions you need.

The above is based on experience mounting non-camera items, so perhaps a pro can chime in with how they do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

spork

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have something similar for a few of my cams. Its flexible but it gave me a flatter surface to mount the cam on. I didn't drill out behind it and had the cable enter in my basement. There wouldn't be room for a pigtail behind it. Whenever the cam is replaced I was thinking about going with one of those sealed outdoor boxes mounted to one of these siding levelers? if thats what you want to call it. That way I could take the cam off easier. Would be good for keeping water off the connector also.

I don't want to cut out sections of my siding and I'm not sure you have to. As the above poster mentioned I am a little worried about water getting in but haven't had a issue yet. Maybe some silicone around where it meets the siding could help?

edit: I think this is similar to what I have. Not sure if its the acceptable way to do it or not as I'm curious about this subject as well

http://www.lowes.com/pd/Builders-Edge-6-625-in-x-6-625-in-White-Vinyl-Universal-Mounting-Block/3045933

Last edited by a moderator:

arw01

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Been looking for items like this for years, why do they not show this in the electrical section of the borgs!

btb601

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Some good ideas. With today's age, you would think we would have more options. Anyone else have a great way to mount cams to different areas of vinyl wrapped homes. I want to do an outer corner to mount a PTZ.

cybermech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I bought some of these for my system build (still in progress). Fits like a glove on the vinyl siding. Don't have the cameras yet to check fit of the pigtail, but there is some space behind it. If you have any concern about waterproofing, it would be easy to run a bead of silicone around the base or on the edge when it's installed.

Any one try using one of these mounts for cameras attached to vinyl siding? Looks like there should be just enough space to hide the cables and/or the poe splitter.

Builders Edge 6.625 in. x 6.625 in. #001 White Surface Mounting Block-130110006001 - The Home Depot

tygger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This particular one didn't fit my siding. There are many variations to the siding, so make sure that "L" part on the mounting block mates correctly with your type of siding.

I ended up mounting my turrets to the matching junction box directly to the siding and it looks good/fine.