Mounting SD59430U-HN on an existing pole...I need suggestions.

duranged2001

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There are two six foot grounding rods in the ground behind my building. I am going to mount my camera pole a good 16 feet away. Should I pound another rod into the ground directly under the pole, or run the ground wire to the closest existing ground rod. (I wouldn't imagine lightning wants to make a 90 degree turn and run along the ground, but who am I to guess.)

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
whats connected to those other rods? is it tied in from the house?

typically in this situation you install another rod directly below the pole and then bond your rods together so the potential remains the same throughout.

duranged2001

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i plan to drill holes in my camera "mast" in order to run the wiring from the camera to the inside of my building.

How do I waterproof the holes? I have searched for different solutions, but i havent found the answer.

Thanks,
David

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
use a step drill bit and just make it as big as you need it to be.. It'll leave a nice tapered hole for sealant to hold onto, then silicon around it and it should be fine.. your electrical connections should all be waterproofed, so give it the ability to drain out the bottom so if water does ingress it should not be a problem.. as long as its sealed off enough mice, wasps, etc cant get inside and make it a home it should be good.

if your going to paint it put the silicon down afterwords, it wont take paint and the hole you drilled should be rust protected because you'll remove the galvanized coating