Mounts or no mounts

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Standard Varifocals are typically 2.8mm-13mm or so. Allows you to set the fov from about 100 degrees to about 30 degrees horizontal.

example
(make sure and change the youtube player to 1080p)

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
What mm are the current cams? You might benefit fro a wider angle lens for the first cam but do remember that the wider you go the closer the perp has to be to get in order for you to clearly see their face/features. The 2nd, going wider would probably give problems such as the IR hitting the walls etc.

If this were me I’d take down both and give the Perspex a clean inside and out to see if that makes a diff.

MikeADT

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 2 2.8 mm and 2 2.8-3.7 mm the one at the driveway is the varifocal and one at the door is fixed the side long shot is varifocal and the back is fixed

I don’t really think I need varifocal I think fixed would do just fine only with better IR for the distance if you can see the driveway shot I can’t really see past the cars and the one on the back I can only see about 10ft in the dark

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have 2 2.8 mm and 2 2.8-3.7 mm the one at the driveway is the varifocal and one at the door is fixed the side long shot is varifocal and the back is fixed

I don’t really think I need varifocal I think fixed would do just fine only with better IR for the distance if you can see the driveway shot I can’t really see past the cars and the one on the back I can only see about 10ft in the dark
Hi @MikeADT

If you have a wide H FOV camera ( typical of 2.8mm lens cameras ) it does not need IR for the distance as it will have a short ID distance due to pixel density quickly fading.

You can see examples from the IPVM calculator

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
To be honest the IR coverage isn’t as long as the manufacturers claims from what I’ve seen with my cams. I have a camera at the back of my house and the ir coverage looks to be 3-4 meters at most. Look that left bottom cam in the attached pic to see what I mean. I could move the cam a bit to improve things but as of yet I’ve not bothered.

MikeADT

n3wb
Reaction score
To be honest the IR coverage isn’t as long as the manufacturers claims from what I’ve seen with my cams. I have a camera at the back of my house and the ir coverage looks to be 3-4 meters at most. Look that left bottom cam in the attached pic to see what I mean. I could move the cam a bit to improve things but as of yet I’ve not bothered.

They all look awesome to me

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Especially with varifocal cameras, and even with fixed focal length units that have fairly wide angles of view, the built-in IR illuminators usually do not cover a very wide field. So you usually have to settle for poor illumination at the edges when using wide angle cameras with their built-in illuminators.

Built-in illuminators are also a serious problem with any sort of dome camera because any dust, smudge, rain, scratches, fogging, crazing, etc., of the dome gets brightly illuminated by the built-in illuminator, and shows up badly in the image.

And often, plastic domes are degraded by exposure to direct sunlight in fairly short order. And I have yet to find any camera manufacturer selling replacement domes, which they really should! Also, an optical-grade glass dome, with multicoating to reduce reflections (like a high quality camera filter) might be nice. But it would be expensive, and the coatings might be delicate. Domes are just a bad idea unless you have many thousands of dollars to spend on the dome system, and are willing to maintain and replace it as needed.

Just as we'd never recommend putting a camera inside of a window to "look" outside, especially if that camera is using a built-in illuminator, a dome type camera will suffer from reflections and dirt effects, especially when you use its built-in illuminator.

Bullet style cameras also have problems when using their built-in illuminators, because spiders build webs from the camera's overhanging "sun shade" down across the field of view. These webs are then brightly illuminated by the built-in illuminator, and show up badly, blowing in the breezes, triggering motion alerts, etc.

The only camera style I've had good luck with, when using their built-in illuminators, are turret style. They aren't "looking through" a cover that is illuminated from within by the built-in illuminator. And spiders tend not to build webs across flat surfaces, and if they do string a web across the lens cover, it is NOT lit up by the illuminators.

As attractive as some of the dome and bullet style cameras are, I almost never consider them, especially for outdoor use. And especially if they'll be mounted where you can't easily reach them for the necessary daily (or more frequent) de-webbing.

The other point to consider is that you often get far better coverage angles and ranges, and dramatically reduce the problems of spider webs and dirty domes If you disable the built-in illuminators and use separate external illuminators. You can get more power and wider angle lighting that way.

Also consider white light illumination (dawn to dusk lighting) for the areas. That often allows full time color operation for the cameras, which can be helpful, especially with better low-light cameras.

Domes and bullets using their built-in IR illuminators are often disappointing, if not downright annoying in the real world, especially outdoors.

And yet, when I see packaged camera-NVR systems, they inevitably come with bullet cams. I don't get it! :)

Also: Realize that focal length is just one variable in the formula to find angle of view for any camera. You must also know the sensor dimensions. The important figures are angles of view. One camera's 2.8mm lens will NOT give the same angle of view as another's.

Last edited:

MikeADT

n3wb
Reaction score
Come to the conclusion that I need mounts to properly align the IR sensors in the right position for proper lighting. I made some adjustments over the weekend that are night and day better and have concluded the IR were being blocked by the lens cover and that’s where some of my glare was coming from.

So my next question is my second set of cameras is quite a bit larger in size IPC-HDBW5231E-ZE and looking at Dahua website and the specs for each mount look identical for the PFB203w and PFB204w so which one is the proper mount.

Also is the 5231 above a Starlight Camera? I found out it is a Starlight.

Last edited:

MikeADT

n3wb
Reaction score
Here are a few of the shots of the cameras the first was recently twisted so the IR were facing properly, pretty happy with it it’s a 5231 the second still seems dark and I think needs a mount it’s the 5231 and the third is a 4231 I think needs replace for better lighting. And the last I’m pretty happy with is the 4231

Attachments

nejakejnick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I will be installing IPC-HDW2231R-ZS, on a wall (pointing ~45 degrees down, in a very narrow angle from the wall, maybe the wall will even be on the edge of the view). I am thinking about wall mounts and brackets. Should I be using one, just to hide the wires? PFB203W, PFA137 or PFA130-E? Does it make the actual installation any easier? And wouldn't PFB203W make spiders more likely to make webs? It is in nature, near a swamp...

Last edited: