Moved cameras from static to DHCP auto assigning IP

Crash Tim

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone, newbie here to this site but long time user of Blue Iris software and ISO app.
What I am trying to figure out is if I change all my cameras from having static IP addresses to allowing my router to assign each camera an IP address. Will this become an issue when the lease runs out and the router assigns the camera a new IP address. Will I have to update The IP address in Blue Iris each time?
Thanks all!!
Tim

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, newbie here to this site but long time user of Blue Iris software and ISO app.
What I am trying to figure out is if I change all my cameras from having static IP addresses to allowing my router to assign each camera an IP address. Will this become an issue when the lease runs out and the router assigns the camera a new IP address. Will I have to update The IP address in Blue Iris each time?
Thanks all!!
Tim
It will become a problem unless you use the dHCP reservations but the bigger question is why do you want to do this

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
That’s not how DHCP works. When the lease is at 50% is when you will see a renewal request so, your device will continue to maintain the same IP address. Reservations will help protect you against the scenario where the camera is off network for an extended period of time and a new device comes onto the network and assumes the camera’s last IP because it was returned to the pool. I agree with [mention]fenderman [/mention] on the use of reservations to avoid giving out the IP if for whatever reason your camera is offline for an extended period of time. That said, all my cams are set statically :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crash Tim

n3wb
Reaction score
I was trying something new. I had all of them set as static IP, but was redoing my network and wanted to try it. I since have went back to static IP address, but I wouldn't think it would be a bad idea. any time you added a new camera you just had to plug it in and tel it to us another camera config to set the new one up. Just trying something new.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If your router doesn't provide a place to make reservations for those static IP's (like a Xyzel modem/router combo from CenturyLink I had before), you can also assign static IP's that are outside of the router's DHCP pool. In other words, if the router's DHCP pool (the IP's it assigns to DHCP devices) is from XXX.YYY.ZZZ.050 to XXX.YYY.ZZZ.100, then you can use XXX.YYY.ZZZ.200 to XXX.YYY.ZZZ.254 to assign to the static IP devices in your LAN (like NVR, IP cameras, printers, etc.)

EDIT: @Crash Tim , Welcome to IPCT ! :wave:
What part of 'Bama?

Last edited: