MQTT Alert works with manual trigger but not motion trigger

bphillips

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am trying to get Home Assistant to receive alerts when motion is detected on a Blue Iris camera. Here is my Home Assistant configuration:

binary_sensor:
- platform: mqtt
name: "KassCam Motion"
state_topic: blue_iris/binary_sensor/kass_motion/state
payload_on: "on"
payload_off: "off"
device_class: motion

Blue Iris MQTT Settings
blue iris mqtt
blue iris mqtt857×420 80.6 KB

When I hit the “test” button in those MQTT settings the sensor correctly receives an “on” payload and the state changes to “detected”. This is also the behavior when I manually trigger the camera. But, when motion triggers the camera the MQTT "on" payload is not sent by Blue Iris. The binary sensory does not change to “detected” when the camera sees motion, only when the MQTT Test button is pressed or when the camera is manually triggered. I have confirmed that my Blue Iris profile 1 (green) is active and it is set to always be active.

Any ideas how to fix this?

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
This may help ... from the help PDF (~p114), section ‘Testing the Action Set’ ...
(highlights are mine)

Note that when testing, the action set runs in the console UI process. If you are running Blue
Iris as a service in the background, “real” action sets run in the service process, and this can
create discrepancies in what you experience:
• The service has no access to the Windows UI, meaning there are no visible windows.
• The service may have limited access to some hardware, which in some cases will include
access to the sound card to play sounds.
• Popup toast actions will only appear when the console is open.
The service by default runs as a user called “local service” which does not have the same

access to the system as your user account. For most action types, it’s recommended that
you run the service with your own user account instead. This is changed by opening the
Windows service manager (search for services) and edit the Blue Iris service entry Login

page. See the Administration chapter for instructions.
• The service may not understand your file system designations like “H:” etc. as these are
user-specific. You should always use UNC names where possible (\\server\share).

bphillips

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
thanks for the reply, jaydeel. I went through your solution and it wasn't the problem. But, I figured it out after that. On the alert section in the camera settings (screenshotted in my OP) I had to click "motion zones" and select "any" from the drop down box to the right of the zones.