MSI General Manager (CEO) Charles Chiang Dies at age of 56

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Well this sucks, it puzzles me as to what may have been the root cause. Coincidentally, I was on call with MSI last week inquiring about their Z490 boards. I always doubted their quality when compared to motherboard makers like ASUS and Gigabyte. However, interestingly, MSI has been making great strides in recent years; was planning to give their products a chance. I'm sure there are tech geeks on this forum that may have already been notified about MSI's CEO's death.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Well this sucks, it puzzles me as to what may have been the root cause. Coincidentally, I was on call with MSI last week inquiring about their Z490 boards. I always doubted their quality when compared to motherboard makers like ASUS and Gigabyte. However, interestingly, MSI has been making great strides in recent years; was planning to give their products a chance. I'm sure there are tech geeks on this forum that may have already been notified about MSI's CEO's death.

I have a TON of MSI motherboards running out there, never had any hardware issues with them..fyi I only use Intel equipped P.C.s in the business world. Its Amazing, falling out of a window? Sounds like they are taking a page from the Russians.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I gave up on MSI many years ago after having a board that had no end of issues. Swapped over to Gigabyte or my preferred Asus after that terrible experience and have never looked at another MSI board ever.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
My first motherboard in a DIY build was from Gigabyte Technology almost 15 years ago, their customer service was top notch. In fact, 'till this day I still remember the technician I spoke to over the phone. After recently acquiring a Gigabyte Z490 board, I asked the supervisor to see if that fellow was still working with the company and was told that he was promoted to product manager. Due to COVID-19, Gigabyte's CS was almost difficult to get in contact with which led me to considering other brands like ASUS, ASRock, and MSI. ASUS CS is horrible, can barely understand a word they say; they read off a script "literally" ASRock's warranty had me disappointed after learning that all motherboards shipped with barebone systems only come with a 1-year warranty (I've had to replace their motherboard 3 times in 3 years; that says a lot, lol). MSI Customer Service was always reachable and pleasant over the last few weeks even in these difficult times; their reps were working from home. I called them several times to verify some settings on my Gigabyte motherboard (all brands basically follow the same universal layout in the BIOS settings); their impeccable customer service had me consider their Z490 board after I decided to go from ITX to ATX form factor (all within the return period). I received an MSI board only to find out that it lacked iGPU (integrated Intel graphics). I had to close my eyes and go back to Gigabyte Technology and ended up with a Z490 Aorus Master board. I've received a couple of missed calls from Gigabyte a few days ago; possibly a follow-up to my recent experience on their ITX board. I may have reacted too soon to their lack of support in recent weeks. However, I will say that MSI is catching up to the competition, but it will take a while to reach the Top 3 / Tier 1 spot; things may be exacerbated now due to the loss of the CEO. It seems the CEO did a lot to bring MSI to the table. I believe the company is even older than ASUS but no where as large as Gigabyte. However, the quality is catching up after comparing boards side-by-side earlier last week. Its good to have choices and not be completely loyal to one brand / entity.

Some of these companies prioritize marketing and brand promoting over quality.

Last edited: