Multi camera compatibility

T1Tony

n3wb
Reaction score
(To start, I really don't know if this belongs here, if not please direct me to where this should be posted, thanks!!)

So.... I'm a complete noob when it comes to POE and IP cams aside from generic plug and play POE cams to NVR's.

So here's my situation and specifications:
After doing some limited research into this, I'm looking to get rid of my NVR (which lasted all of 2 months before taking a crap) and use Blue Iris instead, however I want to mix and match 7 cameras (Swann, Fayele and Anran), connect them to a POE+ switch -> Internet and then have the Blue Iris software come in for live monitoring/recording since there is no NVR any longer. I have NOT purchased Blue Iris yet, as I'm waiting on my PoE Switch and the PTZ cameras at this point in time.

The 4 Swann cameras are stationary bullet/turret and are POE.
The Fayele camera is a PTZ speed dome which is a WiFi cam operated either via Web Interface or Mobile App, but offers an RJ45 connection
The 2 Anran cameras are WiFi cams too (web interface or app), also offering an RJ45 connection but only pan 180 degrees, and;
I'd like to use a joystick to control the PTZ functions such as an Xbox One Controller (which I've seen posts here confirming they work to control PTZ)

Would this even work even slightly? Would Blue Iris pick up on the cameras?

P.s. Please don't bash me on my off brand camera choices, I have looked into them via reviews and such, and they suit my needs more then enough.

T1Tony

n3wb
Reaction score
EDIT: I misspoke, the Fayele is NOT a WiFi camera, rather it is in fact a PoE camera

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Blue Iris is great and works with probably more camera brands than most VMS programs, but there are brands that don't work well or not at all - Rings, Arlos, Nest, Some Zmodo cams use proprietary systems and cannot be used with Blue Iris, and for a lot of people Reolink doesn't work well either. Basically, if the camera says it is ONVIF compliant, it should work. BI has a demo, so download it and see if your cameras work.

Wifi is problematic for surveillance cameras whether you use BI or not because they are always streaming and passing data. And the data demands go up with motion and then you lose signal. A lost packet and it has to resend. It can bring the whole network down if trying to use it through a wifi router. Someone tested this once and after 4 cameras, the wifi was unusable...and at the distance you may be and thru an exterior wall, if you do not have full bars, you will have trouble.

Unlike Netflix and other streaming services that buffer a movie, these cameras do not buffer up part of the video, so drop outs are frequent. You would be amazed how much streaming services buffer - don't believe me, start watching something and unplug your router and watch how much longer you can watch NetFlix before it freezes. Now do the same with a wifi camera and it is fairly instantaneous (within the latency of the stream itself)...

T1Tony

n3wb
Reaction score
Blue Iris is great and works with probably more camera brands than most VMS programs, but there are brands that don't work well or not at all - Rings, Arlos, Nest, Some Zmodo cams use proprietary systems and cannot be used with Blue Iris, and for a lot of people Reolink doesn't work well either. Basically, if the camera says it is ONVIF compliant, it should work. BI has a demo, so download it and see if your cameras work.

Wifi is problematic for surveillance cameras whether you use BI or not because they are always streaming and passing data. And the data demands go up with motion and then you lose signal. A lost packet and it has to resend. It can bring the whole network down if trying to use it through a wifi router. Someone tested this once and after 4 cameras, the wifi was unusable...and at the distance you may be and thru an exterior wall, if you do not have full bars, you will have trouble.

Unlike Netflix and other streaming services that buffer a movie, these cameras do not buffer up part of the video, so drop outs are frequent. You would be amazed how much streaming services buffer - don't believe me, start watching something and unplug your router and watch how much longer you can watch NetFlix before it freezes. Now do the same with a wifi camera and it is fairly instantaneous (within the latency of the stream itself)...
Thanks for your words of wisdom, much appreciated!

So the Fayele is actually PoE, looking back at it now, the Anran's are wifi with antennas but they come with an RJ45 connection port as seen in the picture I've attached straight from their website.... They are also ONVIF supportive and can be viewed on ONVIF device Manager. However, could it just be a failsafe for the camera in case the barrel type power goes bad?

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It could certainly be a fail safe, but we would strongly encourage you to go the POE route first!

T1Tony

n3wb
Reaction score
It could certainly be a fail safe, but we would strongly encourage you to go the POE route first!
Absolutely and was my plan with the switch.
Thank you for your help! I'm going to check out the demo!