Multi-Home Network Setup

usafltg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all -

So I already have a nice Blue Iris setup at my house, with a rack and dedicated server, synology, and 7 Cameras for my main house. We now want to setup surveillance for my mother in laws house. Probably 3 - 4 cameras max. I'd like to setup such that all footage stores on the same synology which would obviously be remote to the house, and have blue iris setup remotely as well. Wondering what would be suggested network wise / vpn wise to make this work? Or would the lag be too great?

Reaction score
Hi all*edit* spam link removed.

So I already have a nice Blue Iris setup at my house, with a rack and dedicated server, synology, and 7 Cameras for my main house. We now want to setup surveillance for my mother in laws house. Probably 3 - 4 cameras max. I'd like to setup such that all footage stores on the same synology which would obviously be remote to the house, and have blue iris setup remotely as well. Wondering what would be suggested network wise / vpn wise to make this work? Or would the lag be too great?
Mine is dual nic. Strictly to isolate camera traffic to it's own network. The cameras are all set up with static IP's although I did install Opendhcp on the Windows7 64bit based Blue Iris 4 server, to hand out ipaddresses when I add cameras. I just start and stop the service while I add and change the ipaddress. You can set it up for reserved addresses, or however you like, it seems fully funtional. You can limit it to a specific interface. The hardest part is a text based config file, but it's pretty easy, once you read through it. As far as switches, I am using unmanaged POE gigabit switches, works fine so far. Right now its 8 cameras in 2 different buildings, will be adding more cameras, and a third building. 1 server for 3 buildings, 3 Cat6 between buildings, 1 for lan, 1 for cameras, 1 for future...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hi, You could set up a VPN between the two houses and treat your mother-in-law's setup as a remote branch. However, this may introduce latency depending on your internet connections at both ends. An alternative could be using cloud storage or a remote access tool like ZeroTier, but security and privacy considerations would be essential. Always remember to encrypt the video feeds for secure transmission.** spam link removed **

Last edited by a moderator:

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
It is quite easy to set up a "full time" VPN tunnel between two locations. I do this myself between my house and my parents house. I do monitor one camera they have on my BI system (I don't record it on my BI system, the feed is just displayed in my overview). Just keep in mind that you should always be recording the cameras locally at each respective location (which it sounds like you plan on doing).

You don't need to set up any complicated routing because the tunnel just means the devices at each end will appear as local devices on the network. So the only traffic coming across the VPN from my parent's house to my house is the camera traffic. Their normal internet traffic goes straight out to their provider. However you could always set up some routing rules to limit the data that can pass between networks if you needed to. (IE you don't want all the devices at one end to be available from the other end, etc).

As a side benefit, I also use the tunnel to have an "off site" backup of important data/pictures/documents. I have a backup scheme that saves stuff at my parent's house and they have one that back ups to my house.

bobct1

n3wb
Reaction score
Mine is dual nic. Strictly to isolate camera traffic to it's own network. The cameras are all set up with static IP's although I did install Opendhcp on the Windows7 64bit based Blue Iris 4 server, to hand out ipaddresses when I add cameras. I just start and stop the service while I add and change the ipaddress. You can set it up for reserved addresses, or however you like, it seems fully funtional. You can limit it to a specific interface. The hardest part is a text based config file, but it's pretty easy, once you read through it. As far as switches, I am using unmanaged POE gigabit switches, works fine so far. Right now its 8 cameras in 2 different buildings, will be adding more cameras, and a third building. 1 server for 3 buildings, 3 Cat6 between buildings, 1 for lan, 1 for cameras, 1 for future...
@gibsongilbert - must be an IT guy... OP asked about a multi-home network setup and you read it is a multi-homed network setup.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all -

It's more a question of bandwidth than lag. Most people have fine download speeds, but the upload bandwidth provided by their ISP can be quite underwhelming. If she lives close to you with agreeable terrain you might be able to do a wireless link between the houses.

There are ways you can probably make it work like recording on motion only instead of 24/7 and choices about video codecs, bit and frame rates.