Multiple BI servers behind one IP address. How to combine?

Reaction score
Hello all, and thank you in advance for any suggestions.
I've been using Blue Iris on different construction sites, and I'm now pretty familiar and happy with it. Generally use 3 or 4 Amcrest IP cameras and record 24-7. (I've found motion alerts to be just too frequent for my purposes).
At each site I configure internet with a public IP address so project managers and owners can log in to view and review.

Now I have a jobsite where I'll have multiple job trailers connected via WIFI bridges. Each of 4 trailers will have a BI server installed, running it's 4 or 5 cameras. This way I'm not constantly filling my radio waves with video traffic. However, each of the 4 servers is behind a single public IP address..

Any suggestions for combining the feeds into a single "Master" server? Or suggestions for establishing routing to each specific server? Just not sure of the best approach here.

Thanks again.

Kelly

Reaction score
That looks promising. If I understand, the actual recording still happens at the remote - camera & server location, it just forwards a livestream image.
I'll have 150 mbps synchronous connections between my job trailers, I may have to start looking into traffic levels per camera. Do you happen to know if the cam stream would be the same size of smaller (packet wise) than the normal recording stream?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That looks promising. If I understand, the actual recording still happens at the remote - camera & server location, it just forwards a livestream image.
Yes, but the local can also be set to record, alerts, etc. just like the remote.
Do you happen to know if the cam stream would be the same size of smaller (packet wise) than the normal recording stream?
Not sure but I think it is. Also, later versions of BI5 allow substream motion detection / recording and main stream live view.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
While you could do what @TonyR suggested, it isn't very efficient. It will substantially raise the CPU load on all of your Blue Iris servers and ultimately deliver inferior video quality. I suggest you just connect one "master" BI server to all of the cameras directly if you have the bandwidth to spare, and it sounds like you do.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The alternative is that you just need to host each Blue Iris web server on a different public port when you forward the ports in the router, and then anyone who connects needs to open four browser windows to see all the cameras at once.

Reaction score
The alternative is that you just need to host each Blue Iris web server on a different public port when you forward the ports in the router, and then anyone who connects needs to open four browser windows to see all the cameras at once.
I'll have to try some speed tests to see how much traffic 3 or 4 cams gobble up.
Thanks for your input!