Multiple IP cams over WAN without VPN by changing ports

Marshall

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I have 2 cams, but soon to be more, going across a WAN to where my BI server is. I've used UPNP to open the ports. The cam I have had for a while work with no problems. since all the ports it used were "normal". I am trying to add a second camera now. I have changed the ports on the new camera so they don't conflict with the other cam. BI on the other end is able to inspect it, but is not getting video. I started with just the RTSP port but since I wasnt getting video I kept opening more ports via UPNP. I can confirm the router has them open. I made sure to set the ports in BI to the corresponding ports. See Screenshots, any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

I used to have these cams doing this over a VPN but don't want to deal with that at our new house.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You won't find many fans here of using port forwarding, UPnP, P2P, etc. and the preferred solution is VPN.

Security concerns aside, the whole intent of UPnP is to make it easy for folks to see their IoT devices, so you shouldn't have to be changing ports. Just enable UPnP and let it do its thing.