My 4 camera car system - Speeding Ticket

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
In a previous life, my job involved making cameras, NVRs and systems for vehicles.
I had a small previous gen system (analog) installed in my car.
I made this short video to entertain co-workers, family and friends.

Fastb

Update:
That speeding ticket (look closely) is for "5mph over the limit"
After I paid the ticket, a State Trooper friend told me;
"Hey, they're cracking down on the Troopers. If they pull you over, they have to give you a ticket for something. That ticket for '5mph over the limit' would be tossed out if you contested it. That Trooper essentially gave you a 'Get Out of Jail Free' card. Since you design systems for police vehicles, and that you sent video footage from an accident that occurred, you probably swayed him. Previously, he probably would have let you go!"

Last edited:

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
A ticket for only 5mph over on the highway? Jerk. Shoulda given you a commendation for your restraint.

Just for giggles, what would you recommend for a modern in-car 4 camera system?

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ticket for going only 5 over that's bs.. I would of went to court, it's kinda cool how you have all those cameras setup!

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Kawboy & ryan00,

I later learned the Trooper wasn't a jerk. I was going 72 or 75. Speed limit 60. Morning commute, so typical traffic speed is 68 to 75.

I updated my original post with details. The Trooper actually did me a favor, of sorts. Much lower fine than what I coulda been hit with.
And if I knew then, what I know now, I very likely could have beat the ticket altogether.

Recommendation for 4 cam car system?
I don't have one. The systems we sold were mainly for city buses. 12 to 16 cameras. 16 alarm inputs, to record many items: brake applied, L turn signal, R turn signal, door open, over the engine rpm redline, shock (in case of collision), headlights on, flashers on, engine on/off, etc, etc.

And an input for GPS (via RS485), to show the exact location for corresponding video footage. And based on a pre-entered set of GPS coordinates, the NVR would mark the footage. You wanna know how timely buses are in keeping on schedule? Well, you don't have to send someone out to sit in a van with a clipboard anymore. Instead, review the footage later, and skip from bus stop to bus stop (using the GPS event markers on the video) and view the video's timestamp. It greatly simplified tweaking and updating bus schedules.

The NVR supported WiFi and cellular.
Cellular to dial out for "important" events, such as a collision or a fight on the bus. Cellular to dial in if Bus Dispatch wanted to see the unruly passenger (to coordinate the police response), to check on bus location, or to surf in to simply look at the number of passengers (handy if a Football Game crowd justified sending additional buses), etc.

WiFi for when the bus returned to the depot. It's cheaper to download video with WiFi. (the NVR typically stored one week of HD, and 3 wks of substream lower res).
The management tool included many powerful ways to decide what to download for everyday immediate use.
eg:
- The lady who called Dispatch to complain the "bus drive right by me and didn't stop!" Or "He was very late, I froze my tush"
- When pre-set G-forces were exceeded (when the bus was empty, the driver wasn't slowing for speedbumps). So only G-Forces events would be downloaded.
- When the GPS, using Google maps, showed the bus exceeded speed limits.
- Using GPS set points, download video for every train track crossing.
- Download video if a camera triggered on "tampering" or Video Loss
Etc.

Size: This box is same width and length of my dahua NVR, but 2.5 times taller. Takes a bite outta my trunk space.

Cost: This system is expensive. It's very durable, and backed by a long-life warranty. So municipalities spring for it. For them, the "Total Cost of Ownership" makes it reasonably priced. But it's not "consumer priced"

Conclusion:
The system is too big, too expensive, and the features/capabilities don't match the majority of passenger car situations.
And the cameras, which fit well mounted inside a spacious bus, would not fit well in most cars. The cameras are way larger than a dash cam.

When I told the Trooper we put camera systems in Police Cars, I was telling the truth. But I left out "However, we're a very small player in that market".

Our stuff was a) overkill for a car and b) trunk space in a Trooper Cruiser is at a premium. Our stuff was too big.

Kawboy, good question. Sorry about the long answer.....

Fastb

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
They commonly give small tickets here instead of big ones so people don't fight them. If you go to court and contest it you might end up with a bigger one. I've never received a little ticket for going a bit over the speed limit but I've got a few little ones for going quite a bit over the limit. The REALLY big ones? Somehow they've never pulled me over for any of those... ;)

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
No worries about the long answer. I Iove details and long answers.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Kawboy,

Thanks for the note. I could go on and on.
Designing cams, nvr's, features, etc was cool.
Our systems were normally on city buses. Our cams caught many bad actors, like a guy who shot a bus driver, changed buses, and was was then tracked by the police. And was shot thru the windshield. Our footage was awesome, with footage from multiple cams (in the bus, and outside which caught police aiming at the windshield and ending (fatally) the altercation.

In this forum, we talk a lot about catching the "bad guy". That's generally about about property theft. Stealing "things". Cams on public buses elevates it to the level of protecting not "things", but "people"

My fave: A cam on a bus caught a group of people trying to grab an iPhone from a pregnant woman. She and her boyfriend resisted.
The assailants said, caught by video and audio, side "Don't kick her in the stomach! Kick her in the face!"

Precious moment. Bad group of Never-do-Wells exercising compassion as they rob bus riders.

Let me know if you'd liek a link to the video, I could pb'bly find it..

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Or the folks who put down their briefcase, then lay down, and claim the bus drove away before they were off the bus....
So many stories,

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Sad state of affairs. I think I can live better without seeing thugs discussing the best spot to kick a pregnant woman though. Glad you got the video to prove it but I don't need to see it. It'd just wind me up for no reason.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
The in-bus video was released by police, to help catch the people responsible for the theft (it all started by taking the MP3 player of the pregnant woman) and the people responsible for the ensuing fight. The woman's BF stood between the assailants and his GF.

Normally, video from the bus cams is not available to the public. If you slip getting off the bus, and land awkwardly in a puddle, it won't be on YT or FB.

Fastb

Update: The baby wasn't hurt, was carried to term, and is healthy. All 5 assailants were caught and arrested. Some were minors.

Kawboy and all:
The video will wind you up, so viewer discretion advised. I'm including a link here in case others want to view it.

Video here

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
speeding tickets, aka, revenue streams. We need to raise hell in this country, we pay these cops to sit on the side of the road and give us horrendous tickets for going an arbitrary speed, I have seen no proof, evidence, or studies that going 3 miles over a certain speed is more dangerous. I personally have never been in an accident at more than probably 5mph. Their time would be MUCH better spent patrolling our neighborhoods, introducing themselves, leaving their card, so we don't have to have so many damn cameras and alarm systems. Fight real crime, look for burglars and drug dealers and vandals, that's how I'd rather see my tax dollars spent, not robbing me for money as I am on my way to my job where I work my ass off to pay their salary. Meanwhile the crack heads and welfare cases are trying to break into my house and steal my stuff. /end rant

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
The red light cameras generate revenue for the city. The installer/operator keeps the majority of the fines to "cover costs". Our officials have permitted these outfits to generate revenue for themselves by ticketing us. In exchange, the officials get a "cut of the take".
It's worse than a tax....

Bradmph

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It surprises me to hell that you were allowed to be stopped in the center of the freeway on the divider. The Police are suppose to watch for your safety and that was far from a safe procedure. If you would of been hit by an oncoming motorist, what then? I think the officer needs to be told to have people move to the right and off the freeway to a shoulder of some kind. Very dangerous procedure.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Bradmph,

If you would of been hit by an oncoming motorist
There's a pretty substantial divider between the northbound and southbound traffic. Me, heading north, was pretty safely separated from oncoming southbound traffic.

The motorcycle cop parked behind me. So if we're talking about getting rear-ended, he put himself in harm's way.

I never felt in danger or concerned for my safety. On the other hand, I've done a LOT of hitchhiking, which requires standing on the shoulder with nothing between you and oncoming cars. So maybe my self-preservation instinct is under-developed....

On the flip side, that motorcycle cop is a cowboy. He walked onto the Interstate to point at me, and using sign language, to indicate that I should pull over. Then he rides a few hundred yards down the interstate to meet me.

It would be more typical, and safer, if he 1) clocked me, 2) got on his bike, 3) caught up to me, 4) put on lights, and 5) pull me over. But that means he'd write fewer tickets on that shift!

He's a ticket-writing machine. At the end of the video, before I even pulled away, he's got the laser gun going and he nails another motorist.

I saw him many times on my morning commute. It's like shooting at fish in a barrel.

Fastb

Bradmph

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think I hold a fear of the freeway and being hit by a car because of a past deal where I had my car door ripped off my car while I was under the dash changing out a fuse. It was dark and I was holding the door close to my body and looking with a flashlight under dash. A car came by and took the door clean off and slid down the shoulder of freeway. The door put a dent in the hood of the other car about 6 inches from center. This woman almost ended it for me, so I continue to have this feeling if stopped on a freeway, stay far off as you can get and one eye on traffic always.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Wow!
The sudden explosive sound, the physical jolt, the "WTF" moment as you brain tries to process....
Those moments are forever etched into memory.