My brain hurts now.

Todd Schmidt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Current network map

Comcast router/modem (newest one they offer) to Apple AirPort Extreme (in bridge mode) to non-Poe switch to BI dedicated PC to PoE switch to cameras. Everything is on Cat6 wires.

If I can convince my wife to get rid of home phone, I’ll be getting my own modem and using the Extreme as the router. I know Apple doesn’t really support VPN, so I’m trying to figure out a work around. Possibly getting another non WiFi router?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What’s the IP of one of the devices on your main network? Prob starts with 192.168. something.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That works too.

In Windows on your BI PC, if you go into the networking area and right-click on the NIC that plugs into the PoE switch, is the TCPIP V4 area set to get a Dynamic IP address?

Todd Schmidt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do I need to bridge the connections? Or assign a static ip to the camera network? I think they are separate right now.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
On the 2nd NIC, I'd suggest changing that to "Use the following IP address",
make the IP address 192.168.1.1
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
leave all of the other boxes empty

Click OK, OK, and then whatever you have to do to close the NIC properties window.

If you still have one (and only one) new camera plugged in, open a Command Prompt and type:
ping 192.168.1.101
and see what the response is

Todd Schmidt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On the 2nd NIC, I'd suggest changing that to "Use the following IP address",
make the IP address 192.168.1.1
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
leave all of the other boxes empty

Click OK, OK, and then whatever you have to do to close the NIC properties window.

If you still have one (and only one) new camera plugged in, open a Command Prompt and type:
ping 192.168.1.101
and see what the response is
That’s what I was thinking of doing. Will give it a go in the am. Thanks.

With it set up this way, the cameras won’t be connected directly to internet, but I’ll still be able to view them through the BI app on phone, correct? Remote viewing is a must.

Looking into VPN now, but with the Apple router in the system I’m not sure how to go about setting it up.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey, I see you have a Synology NAS. Me too. I actually have their VPN package installed and setup for my OpenVPN connections, although I also use their built-in Reverse Proxy to access Blue Iris without VPN most of the time. Definitely don't worry about VPN until you get Blue Iris all setup and running.

But to answer your question about "can I view the cameras remotely through BI", yes. Your BI PC will have access to the cameras, but the cameras will not have access to anything other than themselves and the 2nd NIC on your PC.

Todd Schmidt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey, I see you have a Synology NAS. Me too. I actually have their VPN package installed and setup for my OpenVPN connections, although I also use their built-in Reverse Proxy to access Blue Iris without VPN most of the time. Definitely don't worry about VPN until you get Blue Iris all setup and running.

But to answer your question about "can I view the cameras remotely through BI", yes. Your BI PC will have access to the cameras, but the cameras will not have access to anything other than themselves and the 2nd NIC on your PC.
Just got the NAS, a DS418play model, recently. I'm still learning how to use it, but mostly for backing up my wife’s MacBook Air.

That’s what I thought. Thanks for everything.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@aristobrat thanks, that got the camera working. Now, to go rewatch all the BI videos to make sure I get the settings right, and to mount the camera outside.
Nice job! If you didn’t already, give the camera a new unique IP address (not ending with 108) before adding to BI.

Todd Schmidt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Never mind, I forgot to enter the gateway address. Guess I should have started this after I was fully awake. Sometimes I regret giving up coffee.

Todd Schmidt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So today I ran some Cat6 to the cameras permanent spot and got it up and running on BI. Next, figure out how to safely remote access it. Need to figure out VPN or stunnel.

Thinking I may want a PTZ in another spot as opposed to fixed. Back into the depths of the forum I go to do my research.

I also noticed a bunch of amazon echo things in the settings, hopefully integration so I can view cameras on my echo show.