My camera's SD card won't over overwrite when full.

Night Owl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have an - IPC-HDW5231R-ZE camera that uses a micro sd card. I have the setting set to overwrite when disk is full but it doesn't work. When the disk is full it simply stops recording, any idea what I'm doing wrong?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you trying to run the camera at the rated capacity for most items?

Keep in mind that these type of cameras, although are spec'd and capable of these various parameters, real world testing by many of us shows if you try to run these cameras at higher fps and higher bitrates than needed that you will max out the CPU in the camera and then the camera bugs out just long enough that you miss something or video is choppy. My car is rated for 6,000RPM redline, but I am not gonna run it in 3rd gear on the highway at 6,000RPM...same with these types of cameras - gotta keep them under rated capacity. Some may do better than others, but you are running the CPU higher.

Look at all the threads where people came here with a jitter in the video or IVS missing motion or the SD card doesn't overwrite and they were running 30FPS and when people tell them to drop the FPS and they dropped the FPS to 15FPS the camera became stable. As always, YMMV...

Movies on the big screen are shot at 24FPS, I do not think we need 30FPS for our mobile devices and tablets LOL. Shutter speed to capture details is much more important than FPS.

15 FPS is sufficient for surveillance cameras.

Try the above first. If you are already doing that, then make sure that you are not marked to read only.

If that is all correct, then I would suggest doing a reformat of the sd card and then set up an auto delete based on days. Some of these camera have trouble figuring out how to clear room for rewriting, especially if you are trying to record continuous on an sd card. If you are doing continuous, then set to on trigger.

Or the card went bad.

Night Owl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are you trying to run the camera at the rated capacity for most items?

Keep in mind that these type of cameras, although are spec'd and capable of these various parameters, real world testing by many of us shows if you try to run these cameras at higher fps and higher bitrates than needed that you will max out the CPU in the camera and then the camera bugs out just long enough that you miss something or video is choppy. My car is rated for 6,000RPM redline, but I am not gonna run it in 3rd gear on the highway at 6,000RPM...same with these types of cameras - gotta keep them under rated capacity. Some may do better than others, but you are running the CPU higher.

Look at all the threads where people came here with a jitter in the video or IVS missing motion or the SD card doesn't overwrite and they were running 30FPS and when people tell them to drop the FPS and they dropped the FPS to 15FPS the camera became stable. As always, YMMV...

Movies on the big screen are shot at 24FPS, I do not think we need 30FPS for our mobile devices and tablets LOL. Shutter speed to capture details is much more important than FPS.

15 FPS is sufficient for surveillance cameras.

Try the above first. If you are already doing that, then make sure that you are not marked to read only.

If that is all correct, then I would suggest doing a reformat of the sd card and then set up an auto delete based on days. Some of these camera have trouble figuring out how to clear room for rewriting, especially if you are trying to record continuous on an sd card. If you are doing continuous, then set to on trigger.

Or the card went bad.

I'm currently at 25 FPS. I'll try to lower it to 15 FPS and if that doesn't work I try the next suggestion. Thanks.