My Dahua NVR5432 was hacked last week!

So how does OPNSense compare to pfSense and Firewalla Purple?

Is this yet another system that runs on windows Linux that attaches in between the router and your home switch?

I’m actually considering the Firewalla Pirple now from the above recommendation due to its DNS filtration capability.

At this point I’m already nearly $3000 in with my network infrastructure upgrade so I might as well keep going.

OPNsense and Pfsense are definitely related. Pfsense came first but then OPNsense forked off and created their own version. Pfsense is basically run by Netgate while OPNsense is owned by Decisio. Today they look quite different and both are very capable but I prefer OPNsense because IMHO the navigation and rules are easier to implement than Pfsense. You can run it on a separate PC but honestly I prefer to just use purpose built hardware (see link below) since it’s just easier to maintain and speeds tend to be more stable since it is dedicated equipment.

The other option if you want to go cheaper is to use something like a Protectli to install either Pfsense or OPNsens and you can try each to see what you like better.

I don’t have a ton of experience with Firewalla so I really can’t do any in depth comparisons but from what I had researched it seems like more of a consumer grade system vs Pfsense/OPNsense which I would put in the prosumer or small to medium business range for firewalls. This doesn’t mean Firewalla can’t work for you if it has all the features you’re looking for, really just depends what you want. Pfsense and OPNsense are more powerful but also made for more technical folks so they would have a steeper learning curve if you are trying to install everything yourself. Lots of stuff on YouTube for both of those so I wouldn’t get too intimidated if you did decide to go that route.

Last edited: