My Dream Life

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Beautiful, but....
I can foresee some issues with folks flying in/out of lake areas meant for boats, beaches, empty fields, etc.
I know its been almost 20 years since 9/11 but I would not DARE fly that close to the Statue of Liberty! Maybe it was CGI, I dunno. :cool:

grumpywilson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's a perfectly acceptable distance from the statue of liberty. That area from about the Verrazano bridge past the statue and north up the Hudson river is a visual flight rules scenic flyway at I think 1200' and 1500' AGL with the appropriate approval from ATC. And you can't land in just any body of water from what I know.

mcapeed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not familiar with flight rules…..I have a neighbor who lands his helicopter in his driveway almost daily. Im surprised that this is legal but surely would not complain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's pretty cool. How do I get to the rich part?! 260k for a older one ?!
The cost of the aircraft goes up from there, Ins., Maintenance, Storage (Hanger, though it can be trailered)

1630372377865.png
I really do like it's design:
1630371813420.png

New for Summer 2021, the A5 is now available in two models — Limited Edition (S-LSA) and Certified Edition (Type Certified).

I do like that all you need is a Sport License, that saves on training...
1630371971404.png

Only a Dream though...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, and that has been a problem for Icon. According to this article, all pilot error.
Wow and by experienced pilots. I did not even check AOPA, guess knowing I could never afford it...Thanks

1630415850705.png

I would say Water landings/take-offs could be tuff. In my youth, I have flown many RC planes, one Cub with floats gave me a tuff time getting off the water. My brother and I took his boat out to a cove, it was very early in the morning, the water had not one ripple, looked like a mirror. I tried to get the plane off the water and could not break step, the water created a suction, we had to wait for some wind to break up the water. Float planes should be much easier than Amphibious planes on water. I could see wind being a problem off the water once you get above the tree line, you would need to be ready...

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Your problem was the surface tension of the water since it was still. Think of it as if the water sticks together like a thin film of plastic all around each float. Makes for too much weight, effectively, to achieve rotation speed.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your problem was the surface tension of the water since it was still. Think of it as if the water sticks together like a thin film of plastic all around each float. Makes for too much weight, effectively, to achieve rotation speed.
You should of seen it, full speed skating across the water. Since it was a stick/rudder no ailerons I could not roll it to break step.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I've seen power boats used for that exact reason to break the surface tension on a lake for a real float plane to be able to lift off. Maybe a real plane could break the tension on its' own either through power or disturbing the surface, but if you need to climb out due to obstacles every foot makes a difference.

Last edited: