My first build (thanks to ipcamtalk) and a couple of questions.

Kingsley

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So after reading and reading and experimenting and such, I finally got my basic system largely installed, although tweaking continues.

I've got a variety of Hikvision cams around the perimeter of the house, at the front door, in two rooms in the house and in the garage. These are supported by either motion activated white lights or infrared. Eight of the cameras are wired CAT6, and two are running wirelessly, both near access points, so they are running smoothly.

The camera feeds go into two of the TP-Link POE switches, which are recorded onto a 5TB purple WD NAS drive through one of the small Dell 9020 computers running Blue Iris from its solid state drive. The computer and all the gear runs through a battery backup. There is a 12V distribution box supplying the IR lights. Smaller battery backups support the wireless cameras.

I monitor the system wirelessly on tablet or phone using Blue Iris or tinyCAM monitor while connected to my router over a VPN connection.

All of this sits on the top shelf of a closet. This area gets warmer than I had imagined, which leads to my first question. Any thoughts about getting some air circulation? A vent into the attic might help a bit, I'm wondering if there are really quiet exhaust fans that could be installed in the ceiling. The closet is near to the living/entertainment quarters, so quiet is necessary.

I have maxed out the POE switches in the closet. They are both individually plugged into the router. I am now considering adding a couple more cameras, but my only real choice would be to daisy chain a third POE switch to one of the others. Would that be a problem? Would I be better to use external POE boxes and utilize some of the non-POE ports on the two existing switches?

Thanks for your thoughts and all of the really incredible information that folks have tirelessly populated into this site. I never could have built such a cool system without it.

Alan

Looks like the title cannot be edited. Oh well. Wrong. Use "Go Advanced".

tensoneu

n3wb
Reaction score
So after reading and reading and experimenting and such, I finally got my basic system largely installed, although tweaking continues.

I've got a variety of Hikvision cams around the perimeter of the house, at the front door, in two rooms in the house and in the garage. These are supported by either motion activated white lights or infrared. Eight of the cameras are wired CAT6, and two are running wirelessly, both near access points, so they are running smoothly.

The camera feeds go into two of the TP-Link POE switches, which are recorded onto a 5TB purple WD NAS drive through one of the small Dell 9020 computers running Blue Iris from its solid state drive. The computer and all the gear runs through a battery backup. There is a 12V distribution box supplying the IR lights. Smaller battery backups support the wireless cameras.

I monitor the system wirelessly on tablet or phone using Blue Iris or tinyCAM monitor while connected to my router over a VPN connection.

All of this sits on the top shelf of a closet. This area gets warmer than I had imagined, which leads to my first question. Any thoughts about getting some air circulation? A vent into the attic might help a bit, I'm wondering if there are really quiet exhaust fans that could be installed in the ceiling. The closet is near to the living/entertainment quarters, so quiet is necessary.

I have maxed out the POE switches in the closet. They are both individually plugged into the router. I am now considering adding a couple more cameras, but my only real choice would be to daisy chain a third POE switch to one of the others. Would that be a problem? Would I be better to use external POE boxes and utilize some of the non-POE ports on the two existing switches?

Thanks for your thoughts and all of the really incredible information that folks have tirelessly populated into this site. I never could have built such a cool system without it.

Alan

Looks like the title cannot be edited. Oh well. Wrong. Use "Go Advanced".
I would recommend getting a 8 port passive POE injector, https://www.amazon.com/WS-POE-8-48v60w-Passive-Ethernet-Injector-Cameras/dp/B0086SQDMM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472963341&sr=8-1&keywords=wi-fi+texa
Provides flexibility on non-POE ports from routers or switches. I have the above paired with a 16-gigabit D-Link unmanaged switch.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Kingsley

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.