My first installation, need some guidance and advise

RJ90210

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, greetings from the Netherlands!! Thanks everyone for this great forum I just discovered.

I am planning my first camera setup. Initially with one camera and NVR (after browsing this forum I lean towards a Dahua HDW5231R-Z and a NVR5208). Main goal is to be able to see what happened in case someone tries to mess with the cars of break into the house. Based on (my) common sense I draw a picture of the intended camera position. I'm hoping to get some advise on position and/or the advise if I should go for more that 1 camera to start with. And of course, any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ralph

1st picture: overview of the house (in yellow, half of the building)
2nd/3rd picture: details of the entry and the position of the camera I have in mind.

overview.jpg entry.jpg entry-detail.jpg

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have a look IPVM's Camera Calculator to be able to play around with the location and views of the different cameras.
What is useful is that you can set the FoV for a camera and get a decent idea on what the camera will see.

I would say that if the white car is in the camera's view and that close, you could get an underexposed image or IR flare.