My friend has a stalker: Short and long term solutions?

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
So, I talked to my friend a little more Friday night and relayed some of the thoughts from here.

Before I propose these options to her, I wanted your opinions first. I have also included some street level images from around her house. Keep in mind they are 10 years old and the short trees at the back corner of the house are now 15 feet tall.

I also misspoke and there is not a street light at her intersection (which I found weird).

My proposed Ring install locations are below. She has security lights at both corners of the sun room on the back of the house.

Ring Aerial.PNG

My proposed locations for Andy cams (if she decides to ultimately go this route and install at these locations is possible). This is a more accurate representation of tree sizes compared to street level images.

Andy Aerial.PNG

Here are the street level views of her house.
  • No street light at the intersection.
  • The trees on the back corner are taller now (15+ feet).
  • She has two security lights off of the corners of the sun room.
  • Siding is vinyl.

Capture2.PNGCapture1.PNGCapture.PNGEnd.PNGBack.PNG

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Those seem reasonable.

How hard would it be to run electric to above the garage and put a floodlight there instead?

Going with the Ring battery operated spotlight cams, I would suggest adding a solar panel so she doesn't have to yank the battery out and charge it. Sure enough it will go dead when she needs it. You can get connectors that could connect it to the gutter and make it not as obvious.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Those seem reasonable.

How hard would it be to run electric to above the garage and put a floodlight there instead?

Going with the Ring battery operated spotlight cams, I would suggest adding a solar panel so she doesn't have to yank the battery out and charge it. Sure enough it will go dead when she needs it. You can get connectors that could connect it to the gutter and make it not as obvious.
I would need to look, but anything is doable with enough force. I have spec'd the Spotlight cams with solar panels, so all good there.

What are your thoughts on the Andy locations? I just want to have an idea on ultimate cost if she decides to go full system at some point.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Based on what I see, I think those are reasonable choices as well.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Based on what I see, I think those are reasonable choices as well.
Would you put one on the rear where the question mark is? Given the distances, likely a 3.6mm covering towards the Civic in the last image? My next thought would be one on both corners, pointed inwards, but it's probably best to just start with one and add from there.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I would add one where the question mark is as that is a window he could come up to and could be potentially missed by the other cameras if he came up along the fence line and the tree blocks him from the other camera.

If a car is in the driveway, a camera on either end of the garage pointing in a criss-cross pattern is always ideal. But since this is a known threat, one would be sufficient for now.

The other nice thing about the Ring floodlight and spotlight is she could keep them there and disconnect from Ring later if she chooses and then let them simply be spot and floodlights. That way it isn't a total wasted investment.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah I would add one where the question mark is as that is a window he could come up to and could be potentially missed by the other cameras if he came up along the fence line and the tree blocks him from the other camera.

If a car is in the driveway, a camera on either end of the garage pointing in a criss-cross pattern is always ideal. But since this is a known threat, one would be sufficient for now.

The other nice thing about the Ring floodlight and spotlight is she could keep them there and disconnect from Ring later if she chooses and then let them simply be spot and floodlights. That way it isn't a total wasted investment.
It's too bad there isn't more (any) light there. It would be a good spot for a 180 cam.

I am trying to get just above the basics knowing I would have 15 cameras around the place if she would let me, haha.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah that is always the tough sell LOL.

People see these wide angle cameras at Best buy and think they can put one up on each corner and they are good to go.

Now in this case for the immediate need, that is fine, but what about after this event.

It is easy to get lured in to thinking the wide angle "see the whole neighborhood" because you are watching it and you see a neighbor go by and you are like "Look at that I can tell that is Heather out walking." and "Yeah I can tell our neighbor 4 down just passed by". Or you watch back the video of you walking around and are like "yeah I can tell that is me".

Little do we realize how much WE can identify a known person just by hair style, clothing, walking pace, gait, etc.

Then one day the door checker comes by. Total stranger. Totally useless video other than what time the door checking happened.

Then you realize that this wide-angle see the whole neighborhood comes at a cost and that cost is not being able to IDENTIFY who did it. These 2.8mm wide angle cameras are great overview cameras or to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet of the camera. At 40 feet out you need a different camera.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I am in a Bunch of Dads group on FB and another one of the "I am looking for wireless cameras, give me opinions" posts came up. I typically try to avoid them because my comments get lost in the onslaught of "Ring/Blink/etc are the best" posts, but I decided to chime in and say wireless is useless unless you set your expectations low. I recommended he join the forum and look through the Next Door thread. Someone countered that he used to have wired NVR system and it was bulky, wasn't able to save much when recording 24/7 and using the Ring cloud was way better. I commented back with I have 20 cameras, record 24/7 and have several weeks of footage available. He ultimately changed his tune a little when he looked up BI and saw how far things have come since he had his system.

This is a response I got from someone else. The sad? part is I am still looking to add another 6 or 7 by the time my deck is done and I get back to working on coverage in the front...

1676862765278.png

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
How about a PTZ up high on the corner with the brick to do a 270 degree sweep. I like it because it's more of a "in your face" camera that can intimidate some people who don't want to be recorded.

1676863012377.png

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
How about a PTZ up high on the corner with the brick to do a 270 degree sweep. I like it because it's more of a "in your face" camera that can intimidate some people who don't want to be recorded.

View attachment 154817
I showed her the video of the camera salesman that was being tracked by a PTZ, but I don't think she is quite there yet. haha

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am in a Bunch of Dads group on FB and another one of the "I am looking for wireless cameras, give me opinions" posts came up. I typically try to avoid them because my comments get lost in the onslaught of "Ring/Blink/etc are the best" posts, but I decided to chime in and say wireless is useless unless you set your expectations low. I recommended he join the forum and look through the Next Door thread. Someone countered that he used to have wired NVR system and it was bulky, wasn't able to save much when recording 24/7 and using the Ring cloud was way better. I commented back with I have 20 cameras, record 24/7 and have several weeks of footage available. He ultimately changed his tune a little when he looked up BI and saw how far things have come since he had his system.

This is a response I got from someone else. The sad? part is I am still looking to add another 6 or 7 by the time my deck is done and I get back to working on coverage in the front...

View attachment 154816
Yep, these are the same folks that fall into my story above about a camera on each corner of the house and see the whole neighborhood.

I was there once. And now I have more cameras than you LOL.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
This is what I sent her this morning.

Here is a brief list of recommendations from the camera forum (and myself) on what they would recommend for your situation. This is for both general security and short/long term camera system solutions.

1. Contact the police and get a Protection Order on record. From one of the forum guys who had a similar issue with a crazy stalker: "Protection order. Yes, it is initially a piece of paper. But understand, it's a tool. Once posted, a protection order gives more power to you and the police to do something. As in...2 years in jail, fines, etc. Without a protection order, the police can legally do NOTHING at all to someone walking down a PUBLIC sidewalk or PUBLIC road other than "talk" to the person for which the person can just turn his/her back without any legal requirement to answer any questions and walk away. A protection order is just a piece of paper and will not stop a bullet or knife, nor was it meant to. Still have to be on your tiptoes about physical confrontations."
2. Make sure your kids know who is, and is not, supposed to be coming to the house. If they see someone who is not supposed to be there they need to let you know.
3. Talk to your neighbors and make sure they know the situation even if just the basics.
4. Lock your garage entry door when you leave the house and at night.
5. Keep the garage door closed during the day, at least until you have additional cameras and a PO.
6. Remove the red rope from your garage door openers.
7. IF you need to park outside overnight, remove your garage door remote from your car.
8. Install, at a minimum, longer screws into your front/garage entry door hinges and strike plates. Door Armor is not necessary, but not a bad idea if you wanted to go that route as well. 9. Install a charlie bar for your sliding door.
10. Replace all coach light bulbs with 100w 5000K LEDs and leave the front and back porch lights on overnight. You want as much light around your house at night as possible. These are the bulbs I use:
Short term camera solution:
Given you know what he looks like (and could likely recognize him), you just need to be able to prove he has come by the house. It has been recommended to install 3 Ring cameras around the house. 1 Floodlight cam at the back, 1 Spotlight cam on the right side, and 1 Spotlight or Floodlight cam on the front over the driveway. Currently the driveway will need to be a Spotlight, but if your dad is able to get power over the driveway you could install a Floodlight version there. "The other nice thing about the Ring floodlight and spotlight is she could keep them there and disconnect from Ring later if she chooses and then let them simply be spot and floodlights. That way it isn't a total wasted investment."

Check out my list on Amazon

(((Images from above)))

Long term camera solution:
If you wanted to move to a proper system later on, after this initial stuff with him shakes out, this is what would be recommended to cover the basics. Obviously you can always add more as you see fit and/or want to increase the security potential of the system (additional angles, cameras inside the house, more coverage over the driveway, etc). The cameras in the Amazon list are some of the top consumer cameras you can go with right now. They are good in low light and perform very well when set up correctly. I have looked at my system as an investment (and a hobby) but you ultimately get what you pay for (and you are wanting to pay for usable footage/captures).

This list has most of the items needed, but there are other, miscellaneous things that would be required for install as well. I would consider it with the $160 versions, but there may be a location where the $180 would be better. The IR illuminators, adapters, and splitters would only be needed in the event there was not enough IR light available from the cameras to give a usable night image.

These locations assume cable is able to be ran and there are no major issues. Not pictured below is the one that would be on the back of the garage.

(((Images from above)))

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Ring cameras were ordered yesterday, so she will have something soon. She hasn't said anything more about him, so maybe that's a good thing.

I also found out she did not have sensors on all of her windows, but did just order more for the rest of them.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ring cameras were ordered yesterday, so she will have something soon. She hasn't said anything more about him, so maybe that's a good thing.

I also found out she did not have sensors on all of her windows, but did just order more for the rest of them.
Any glass break sensors on the first floor?

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
One word of warning, I wouldn't actually "remove" the red cord on your garage door. There are times when you may actually need to manually release the garage door, emergency, power outage, etc...
Rather, one can put a zip tie through the hole at the release point. Plenty of youtube videos describing this. In this manner, if one actually needs the release rope, it's still available by cutting the zip tie.

Also, for the garage door opener itself. If it's not a newer model, I would replace. Older garage door openers can be "bumped" open with ease, which the newer models don't allow, plus rolling codes when pressing the transmiter.

Reaction score
This was not specifically addressed, but maybe a moot point. She needs to stop using his relatives for cleaning her house. Even not use friends of that cleaning lady. Get a totally different cleaning person.

Also, she must never tell the cleaning folks anything about her routine or when she will be out of the house.

Jim I.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
One word of warning, I wouldn't actually "remove" the red cord on your garage door. There are times when you may actually need to manually release the garage door, emergency, power outage, etc...
Rather, one can put a zip tie through the hole at the release point. Plenty of youtube videos describing this. In this manner, if one actually needs the release rope, it's still available by cutting the zip tie.

Also, for the garage door opener itself. If it's not a newer model, I would replace. Older garage door openers can be "bumped" open with ease, which the newer models don't allow, plus rolling codes when pressing the transmiter.
I've seen a few good ideas for securing the garage door opener manual release cord. The easiest one is to just remove the pull handle from the manual release cord. That way if they push the top of the door in try and grab the release cord with a hook there won't be anything to hook on to. Also make sure the cord isn't any longer than necessary.
Another way is to leave the handle on the cord but put a pool noodle on the entire cord length. This achieves the same result, an inserted hook won't have anything to grab onto.