My full color starlight captured a BIG meteor trail!

Francisco73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nice clip! Do you have a camera aimed at the roofs of your neighbors or some kind of auto stuff that identified the meteor as a target?

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
So you're up near Jackson! It looks like it got a little chilly last night. Excellent capture! A guy needs to set a few of these starlights up during the Leonids or other good meteor showers just for the purpose of catching some good video.

My wife and I went out into a dark-sky area a ways away from Casper for the Leonids a number of years ago when there was a 33 year peak, and it was incredible. It was cloudy, then the clouds parted for the peak of the meteor storm, then they rolled back in again! We were so afraid we'd miss out due to the clouds, but it ended up being amazing. Lots of big fireballs as well as a constant rain of "regular" meteors. A woman I worked with said she was driving through the desert in the southwest somewhere during the big one in 1966. She was unaware of the event, and said it was so freaky that she had to pull over and park. It was like driving into a blizzard with your high beams on, she said!

Anyhow, amazing capture! And I also wonder why you had a camera aimed up at such an angle. Were you looking for meteors? Or is that a PTZ that "auto tracked" and found it?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice clip! Do you have a camera aimed at the roofs of your neighbors or some kind of auto stuff that identified the meteor as a target?
Anyhow, amazing capture! And I also wonder why you had a camera aimed up at such an angle. Were you looking for meteors? Or is that a PTZ that "auto tracked" and found it?
My cameras aren't all for security. The purpose of that one is to look at the mountains and sky. It also catches fireworks a couple of days each year. It is not a PTZ.